RBI rate hike to impact India Inc's capex: CII
Rate hike by the Reserve Bank will increase the cost of doing business and impact capital expenditure by India Inc, industry body CII warned on Tuesday.
"The cost of doing business goes up because of the hike and it will impact capex (capital expenditure) by the industry," Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) president and vice-chairman of Bharti Enterprises, Rakesh Bharti Mittal, told reporters here.
He was, however, quick to add that the normal monsoon and supply side measures will have a cooling effect on inflation and help restrict the rate hikes to just the one taken earlier this month.
The industry has also promised a capex of Rs 50,000 crore in the recent months, he said, adding that an uptick in capacity utilisation levels to 80 per cent can prod more industries to join the club.
The RBI may also look at cutting the recently implemented hike and returning to the "benign" rate environment once it sees comfort on the inflation front, he said.
With a focus on its core objective of keeping inflation in a targeted range in the medium term, the central bank had hiked repo rate, or the rate at which it lends to the banks, by 0.25 per cent this month.
- CAG pulls up SAIL for huge coking coal import despite 3 captive mines 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- From next year, ATMs won’t be replenished after 9 pm 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ONGC repays a third of loan taken to buy HPCL 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DLF-GIC to invest Rs 1,250 cr for housing 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sebi to expand cybersecurity for MIIs 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Peak power deficit in April-July at 0.9%: CEA 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- TRAI consultation soon on traffic management practices for net neutrality 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- BSE, NSE to suspend trading in up to nine firms from Sep 10 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s CAD to widen to 2.5% of GDP: Moody 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India PC market grew 28% in Apr-Jun, notebook demand strong: IDC 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
To mark the occasion of ‘World Photography Day’, members of Jharkhand Photographic Association organized photo-walk and on the spot photography contest on Sunday. The photographers captured the scenic beauty of Ghahari Dham located in Lapung block...