- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
SBI Q1 net profit jumps 5-fold to Rs 2.6k-cr; NPAs spike sharply
The country’s largest lender SBI on Friday reported over 5-fold jump in consolidated net profit to Rs 2,006 crore for the June quarter of the current fiscal even as non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad loans spiked sharply. Posting first quarterly earnings after the merger with its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL), the state-owned bank said in a statement that its net profit in the April-June quarter of last fiscal, 2016-17, was Rs 374 crore.
It said the figures, ratios and other information are based on the merged audited numbers. “Historical data has been arrived at by aggregating the audited numbers of the erstwhile associate banks, Bharatiya Mahila Bank and SBI for comparison purposes.” Asset quality of the bank slipped substantially because of higher accruals of bad loans from the books of associates, it added. There were slippages with gross NPAs rising to 9.97 per cent of the gross advances as on June 30, 2017, from 7.40 per cent as at end-June 2016.
Net NPAs or bad loans too soared to 5.97 per cent of the net advances by June end of this fiscal, up from 4.36 per cent in the year-ago period. “Gross NPAs increased from Rs 1,37,662 crore as on June 2016 to Rs 1,88,068 crore as on June 2017,” SBI said. The operating income of the bank fell by 5.17 per cent to Rs 25,612 crore during April-June quarter of 2017-18, as against Rs 27,007 crore in the same period a year ago.
Of the other key metrics, bank’s fee income increased to Rs 4,870 crore during first quarter of 2017-18, up 16.21 per cent from Rs 4,190 crore in same period year ago. However, net interest income decreased by 3.51 per cent to Rs 17,606 crore from Rs 18,246 crore year earlier. Non interest income also fell by 8.62 per cent to Rs 8,006 crore from Rs 8,761 crore.
State Bank of India (SBI) said it contained the increase in operating expenses at 3.72 per cent year-on-year. On profitability front, SBI said there has been a fall of 8.4 per cent in interest income from advances during April- June of 2017-18 at Rs 36,142 crore from Rs 39,545 crore due to reduction on base rate/MCLR during the period. Deposits of the bank, as on June 2017 rose by 13.28 per cent to Rs 26,02,534 crore from Rs 22,97,426 crore.
Also, gross advances were up 1.46 per cent from a year ago to Rs 18,86,666 crore by June-end 2017, as against Rs 18,59,513 crore as on June 2016. SBI had merged its five associate banks -- State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Hyderabad and State Bank of Patiala, besides the BMBL -- with itself from April 1.
On a non-comparable basis, SBI said, its consolidated net profit during April-June, 2017-18, stood at Rs 3,105.35 crore. It was at Rs 867.32 crore in the same period year ago. Consolidated income (non-comparable) stood at Rs 70,776.56 crore in the first quarter of this fiscal. It was at Rs 69,414.82 crore year earlier. The non-comparable standalone net profit in April-June of 2017-18 stood at Rs 2,005.53 crore. The net profit was at Rs 2,520.96 crore year ago. The SBI stock was down 5.85 per cent at Rs 279.20 on BSE shortly before the close of the session.
- Business Corner 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- India’s inflation mounts to 54-month high 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India earns Rs 18K cr per year from export of basmati rice 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Britannia rolls out Rs 170-cr unit in Assam; to hire 1,000 persons 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Infosys shares end nearly 2 pc up after Q1 earnings 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Data belongs to individual users, says TRAI urging strong safeguards against misuse 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- JLR launches F-TYPE sports car 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rupee slips six paise against US dollar 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India Inc’s Jan-Jun deal tally at $74.8 bn on big-ticket deals 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- LIC gets board’s nod to buy majority stake in IDBI Bank 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...