Sensex climbs 209 points on global cues; macro data eyed
The BSE Sensex surged 209 points to close at an over four-month high of 35,692.524 on Tuesday, taking positive leads from the global markets as investors largely welcomed a historic summit between the US and North Korea.
The broader NSE Nifty too closed above the key 10,800-mark. Building up of positions by participants ahead of release of IIP and inflation data also influenced trading sentiments, brokers said.
The BSE Sensex stayed in the positive terrain throughout the session and hit a high of 35,743.08 before ending at 35,692.52, higher by 209.05 points, or 0.59 per cent. This is its highest closing since February 1, when the index had closed at 35,906.66.
- CAG pulls up SAIL for huge coking coal import despite 3 captive mines 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- From next year, ATMs won’t be replenished after 9 pm 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ONGC repays a third of loan taken to buy HPCL 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DLF-GIC to invest Rs 1,250 cr for housing 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sebi to expand cybersecurity for MIIs 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Peak power deficit in April-July at 0.9%: CEA 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- TRAI consultation soon on traffic management practices for net neutrality 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- BSE, NSE to suspend trading in up to nine firms from Sep 10 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s CAD to widen to 2.5% of GDP: Moody 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India PC market grew 28% in Apr-Jun, notebook demand strong: IDC 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
To mark the occasion of ‘World Photography Day’, members of Jharkhand Photographic Association organized photo-walk and on the spot photography contest on Sunday. The photographers captured the scenic beauty of Ghahari Dham located in Lapung block...