- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Sensex ends at over 1-mth low, melts 318 points
Gripped by fear psychosis due to geo-political aftershocks, key stock market indices were on a sticky wicket for the fifth day on Friday as both Sensex and Nifty fell over 1 per cent to hit their one-month lows. The sharp plunge left investors poorer by over Rs 95,000 crore as the market cap stood at Rs 1,27,08,846 crore.
Risk appetite took a hit after the Economic Survey said achieving the high end of the 6.75-7.5 per cent growth projected previously will be difficult. This is markets' first weekly fall in six. Weakness in the rupee against the American currency and lacklustre global shares dragged down the indices, too.
The BSE 30-share Sensex remained in the negative zone and settled down 317.74 points, or 1.01 per cent, at 31,213.59, its weakest closing since July 4. The index had tumbled 794.08 points in the last four sessions. The NSE Nifty after cracking the 9,700-mark to hit a low of 9,685.55, finally settled lower 109.45 points, or 1.11 per cent, at 9,710.80, a level last seen on July 7.
- Business Corner 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- India’s inflation mounts to 54-month high 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India earns Rs 18K cr per year from export of basmati rice 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Britannia rolls out Rs 170-cr unit in Assam; to hire 1,000 persons 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Infosys shares end nearly 2 pc up after Q1 earnings 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Data belongs to individual users, says TRAI urging strong safeguards against misuse 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- JLR launches F-TYPE sports car 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rupee slips six paise against US dollar 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India Inc’s Jan-Jun deal tally at $74.8 bn on big-ticket deals 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- LIC gets board’s nod to buy majority stake in IDBI Bank 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...