UK confirms Nirav’s presence
The United Kingdom has confirmed that Indian diamantaire Nirav Modi, who is at the centre of a money laundering case linked to the over Rs 13,000 crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud, is currently in that country, top officials said on Monday.
UK Minister Baroness Williams has also assured Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju, at a meeting here, Britain’s full cooperation in the Government of India’s efforts to expedite Nirav Modi, liquor baron Vijay Mallya and others extradition.
“UK authorities have confirmed Nirav Modi’s presence in Britain,” an official privy to the meeting said.
Modi, who is absconding and has not joined the ED probe in the case till now, and others are being probed under various criminal laws after the fraud came to light this year following a complaint by PNB that they allegedly cheated the nationalised bank to the tune of over Rs 13,000 crore, with the purported involvement of a few employees of the bank.
“I had a very useful meeting with UK Minister Baroness Williams. We discussed about India-UK joint efforts to deal with terrorism and extremism. We also agreed to cooperate in the matters of extradition and sharing of information,” Rijiju told reporters after the hour-long meeting.
- CAG pulls up SAIL for huge coking coal import despite 3 captive mines 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- From next year, ATMs won’t be replenished after 9 pm 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ONGC repays a third of loan taken to buy HPCL 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- DLF-GIC to invest Rs 1,250 cr for housing 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Sebi to expand cybersecurity for MIIs 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Peak power deficit in April-July at 0.9%: CEA 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- TRAI consultation soon on traffic management practices for net neutrality 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- BSE, NSE to suspend trading in up to nine firms from Sep 10 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s CAD to widen to 2.5% of GDP: Moody 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India PC market grew 28% in Apr-Jun, notebook demand strong: IDC 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
To mark the occasion of ‘World Photography Day’, members of Jharkhand Photographic Association organized photo-walk and on the spot photography contest on Sunday. The photographers captured the scenic beauty of Ghahari Dham located in Lapung block...