- No-confidence motion against Modi government defeated
- I want to assure people of Andhra Pradesh that they will not be left behind : PM
- I am 'chowkidar' and 'bhagidar', but not a 'saudagar' like you: PM to Rahul Gandh
- PM Modi to visit South Africa, attend BRICS Summit from July 23
- LS takes up for discussion no-trust vote against Modi govt
- Shiv Sena MPs to remain absent for no-trust motion against Modi govt
- India, US first '2+2 dialogue' on September 6: State Department
4-feet long cobra found outside JNU staff quarters
Panic gripped some of the staffers at the verdant Jawaharlal Nehru University campus after a nearly four-feet-long cobra was found there, a wildlife NGO said on Thursday.
The venomous snake was spotted in the lush green campus on Wednesday. “The cobra was found outside the staff quarters of JNU, causing a stir there. The snake was later rescued. It is under observation and will be released back into its natural habitat once deemed fit,” an official of the Wildlife SOS said.
Kartick Satyanarayan, Wildlife SOS co-founder, said: “We have rescued several animals from JNU as the sprawling campus is located in a lush green belt and is home to a variety of wildlife, mainly reptiles, nilgais (blue bulls) and birds. It is essential that we remain sensitive to the presence of wild animals in the national capital region.”
The common cobra (naja naja) is one of the four venomous snake species found in the Indian subcontinent. They are revered in the Indian mythology and culture and have been listed under the Schedule II of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act 1972, the NGO said.
In another incident on Sunday, a nilgai fawn was rescued by the NGO from the JNU campus after it suffered severe dog bite injuries.
“The young nilgai is under medical treatment for its wounds and is placed under observation,” it added.
Recently, a nearly five-foot cobra was rescued from the office of the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC) branch at the Dilli Haat, Pitampura.
- Youth kills self by jumping in front of Metro train; services disrupted for 30 minutes 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DMRC adopts ways to prevent suicide bids on Metro premises 21 Jul 2018 | GAYATHI MANI
- Mayors seek L-G’s help in release of funds 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- North civic body releases mosquito-killing fish 21 Jul 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- JNU moots time-table to enable students opt for multiple lectures 21 Jul 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- Relief for Kanhaiya: HC sets aside JNU’s Rs 10,000 fine for anti-India slogans 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Kejriwal raps babus over report on Mohalla Clinics 21 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Cong to launch ‘Jan Adhikar Abhiyan' from Aug 4 to 11 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Parents-in-law denied interim bail 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Drug cartel busted, heroin worth Rs 16 cr seized 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...