7-year-old mentally ill girl raped in Swaroop Nagar, rapist nabbed
A seven-year-old mentally deranged girl was allegedly sexually assaulted and abandoned at an isolated stretch near her house in Northwest Delhi's Swaroop Nagar area on Tuesday evening.
Confirming the incident, Aslam Khan, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Northwest said, "We received a PCR call about the incident at around 8pm. The accused, identified as 19-year-old Sonu was arrested from the Swaroop Nagar bus stand. He was trying to flee when he was caught by the local staff."
Based on statement given by one of the eyewitness, a local resident, the accused was identified and later arrested.
The officer said that the incident took place in the evening. "The minor girl was playing outside her house. The accused, drunk at the time of the incident, came and lured her. He then took her to a nearby toilet where he raped her and left her.
An hour later, when the seven year old girl did not return home, her anxious parents started looking for her. It was later that they found her bleeding profusely at the toilet.
The girl, who was battered, was first taken to the Babu Jag Jivan Ram hospital where her condition was stated to be critical. After which, she was referred to the Baba Saheb Ambedkar hospital where she is undergoing treatment," said a senior police officer.
Khan said, "A case under relevant sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act has been registered at the Swaroop Nagar police station. we are verifying if the accused had any other previous involvement."
Delhi witnessed over 400 cases registered with Delhi Police under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) Act.
In the process of solving these cases, cops have also arrested several accused in these cases.
According to the Delhi Police data, till April 15 this year, 244 cases of rape with the POCSO Act have been registered with the Delhi Police. In 2017, the number of cases registered under POCSO with Delhi Police was 1,559. In 2016, the number was also over 1,500.
- NRI asks for direction, assaulted, dies due to heart attack; 2 arrested 18 Aug 2018 | SR
- Civic bodies slammed for trash mountain 18 Aug 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- Gurudwara body buys new machines to print more Guru Granth Sahibs 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SC asks L-G to set up body 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Spa-sex racket busted, 3 women, 2 men arrested 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- City Govt to give Rs 10cr aid to flood-hit Kerala 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 3,316 minors go missing this year till June 30, say police 18 Aug 2018 | Garen Warjri Panor
- Submit timeline for complying with PDS order, HC directs Govt 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Italian held at IGIA for carrying unauthorised sat phone 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Signature bridge to be completed by Oct 18 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...