- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
AAP to intensify its campaign for full Statehood
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) will intensify its campaign for full Statehood for Delhi, its leader Gopal Rai said on Thursday. The party has so far collected signatures of one lakh fifty two thousand people for the Statehood demand under its “Dilli Mange Apna Haq” campaign, launched on July 3.
“The need for full Statehood is being felt all the more now because the Centre, despite the Supreme Court's verdict, is shamelessly preventing the Delhi Government from implementing its decisions on non-reserved subjects,” he said.
Chief Minister and AAP national convenor Arvind Kejriwal reviewed the progress of the campaign on Wednesday, Rai said.
“So far 1.52 lakh people have signed the letter addressed to the Prime Minister seeking full statehood for Delhi. The campaign will be expedited and taken to booth level in the coming days,” said Rai, the Delhi convenor of the AAP.
A meeting of party office-bearers will be held on Sunday to take stock of the campaign and intensify it, he said.
Rai said the demand for full statehood was a political struggle and that even the BJP and the Congress had earlier supported it.
“Those who seek vote in elections should clear their stand why they did not fulfil the full statehood demand despite promising it,” he said.
Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled that the Delhi Lieutenant Governor had no independent power to take decisions and was bound by the elected government's advice. The ruling also held that the Lieutenant Governor, who is appointed by the Centre, cannot act as an “obstructionist.”
Delhi does not have the status of a full state, but elects its own MLAs and government.
- 17-yr-old widow stabbed to death by brother-in-law 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- To address waterlogging issues SDMC launches helpline number 23228325 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 3 loot man outside Axis bank, robbers nabbed after 3 days 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Does NCRB collect details of crimes or only numbers, asks HC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- For collecting property tax, EDMC to organise camps at ward level 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PWD responsible for waterlogging at Minto Road, Shivaji bridge, says N Delhi Mayor 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- IT cell to be set up in Gurugram, Faridabad 18 Jul 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Hopes afloat as DU 6th cut-off list out 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Monsoon Assembly Session to begin from August 6 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt complains against Golf Club for felling over 100 trees illegally 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...