AIIMS debars don for 3 yrs as guide
Acting tough, the AIIMS has shifted all students doing PhD and research under a professor of Microbiology to other faculty and also debarred her from guiding students for the next three years after a student attempted suicide, accusing her of harassment and abuse.
The 36-year-old PhD student from the Microbiology department had allegedly attempted suicide at his residence in Gautam Nagar by overdosing on drugs on March 25 and had accused his supervisor of mental harassment, abuse and delay in his fellowship.
The incident had sparked protests by PhD students of the institute who demanded suspension and strict action against the accused professor following which a committee was constituted to inquire into the matter.
“All the students doing PhD thesis under her have been shifted to other faculty members. Also she will not be guiding any student for the next three years," said a senior doctor at AIIMS.
Notably, in his letter to AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria, the fifth year student alleged that he was being mentally harassed and humiliated by the supervisor under whom he got registered in August 2013.
"I have been under constant mental harassment and humiliation. She has again and again used filthy and abusive language in front of everyone. She scolds even when work is done correctly.
"My mental harassment is aggravated as she is not able to procure appropriate facilities, funds in the lab and makes no attempt to get the things done...My fellowship is delayed and this puts me in additional financial problem and mental burden," the student alleged in the letter.
He also claimed that some students, who also are undergoing PhD under the same guide, having contracted TB while working in the lab due to lack of proper equipment and personal protective accessories given to them.
The AIIMS is also learnt to have issued instructions to all supervisors in the department to implement safety measures and infrastructure for the laboratory staff.
- Youth kills self by jumping in front of Metro train; services disrupted for 30 minutes 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DMRC adopts ways to prevent suicide bids on Metro premises 21 Jul 2018 | GAYATHI MANI
- Mayors seek L-G’s help in release of funds 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- North civic body releases mosquito-killing fish 21 Jul 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- JNU moots time-table to enable students opt for multiple lectures 21 Jul 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- Relief for Kanhaiya: HC sets aside JNU’s Rs 10,000 fine for anti-India slogans 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Kejriwal raps babus over report on Mohalla Clinics 21 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Cong to launch ‘Jan Adhikar Abhiyan' from Aug 4 to 11 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Parents-in-law denied interim bail 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Drug cartel busted, heroin worth Rs 16 cr seized 21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | PTI | Bengaluru
Expecting early Lok Sabha polls by December, Congress in Karnataka on Saturday said it has begun preparations for the elections that it claimed would instal a "non-BJP" Government at the Centre. In the run-up to the polls, Congress said it has decided to reorganise the party from grassroots to pradesh congress committee level...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh reviewed the preparations and programmes on scheduled visit of President Ramnath Kovind to Chhattisgarh with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials at his official residence on Saturday. President is scheduled to visit the State on July 25 and 26 at Dantewada and Bastar (Jagdalpur)...