BJP leaders, AAP rebel MLA stage sit-in at CM's office
Taking a cue from the ongoing sit-in by Chief Minister Arvind Kwejriwal and his Cabinet Ministers at Raj Niwas, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders and rebel AAP legislator Kapil Mishra on Wednesday sat on a dharna at Delhi Chief Minister's office against the "non-performance" of his Government.
Leader of Opposition in the Delhi Assembly Vijender Gupta and MLA Manjinder Singh Sirsa said the sit-in will continue till their demands are met by the AAP Government. "Until the Chief Minister assures to provide water to the people, we will continue our sit-in," Gupta said. The protest is against the "non-performance" of the Kejriwal Government, he said.
Gupta said BJP legislators had tried to raise the water shortage issue in the Assembly but they were marshalled out. The Chief Minister does not come to his office, where would people go to raise their problems, he said. "We have called on people to reach the CM's office to raise problem of water supply," Gupta said.
Sirsa said the sit-in will continue until Delhi gets adequate water. "Delhi Jal Board failed to implement schemes worth Rs 2,200 crore allocated by Asian Development Bank and Rs 2,000 crore allocated by 'Japan International Cooperation Agency' due to its inefficiency," he alleged.
BJP MLA Jagdish Pradhan was also present at the sit-in. He also criticised the Delhi Government for its failure to use funds provided by Central Government to set up decentralised 17 sewage treatment plants.
BJP MP Pravesh Verma alleged that the Government has failed to fufil its promise of laying water pipelines in each and every colony. Millions of people especially in slums, JJ clusters, rural areas, unauthorised colonies are still facing water crisis, he added.
BJP workers led by the party's Delhi unit chief Manoj Tiwari staged a protest at the Delhi Secretariat earlier on Wednesday over issues related to water and electricity supply. "Arvind Kejriwal entered Raj Niwas by taking an appointment to discuss important issues with the Lt Governor and has thereafter started a Dharna in the Raj Niwas is a typical act based on Naxalism theory wherein Naxalite call meetings and often kidnap or harass officials. It is just that in this case Arvind Kejriwal has chosen to sit in the Raj Niwas. CM Kejriwal should remember that public is suffering every movement due to water crisis and the people of Delhi especially women will never forgive him for forcing them to buy water from water tanker mafia", Tiwari said.
- 10 more held for vandalising car last week 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police Special Cell to probe attack on JNU ex-student Umar Khalid 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Welfare Minister inspects security for women in shelter homes 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 600 CISF jawans to frisk metro commuters 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- I-Day: 10k cops, SWAT to guard Red Fort 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- L-G greets nation on I-Day eve, says treat all with respect, dignity 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC to provide temporary land to artisans for making Ravana effigies 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to hire 7k graduates with smartphone skills 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 37 fresh cases of malaria reported last week 14 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
- Discourage students from flying kites: Govt directs schools 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | PNS | New Delhi
In an unprecedented move, a group of more than 300 serving Army personnel on Tuesday approached the Supreme Court challenging prosecution of Armymen performing their duty in States where the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) is in force. They contended the AFSPA grants soldiers immunity against FIRs...