Cab sharing a good idea: Arvind Kejriwal
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has termed cab sharing a ‘good idea’ and invited suggestions on how to allow it, keeping in mind the safety of women. His support for cab sharing, which, at present, is being provided by app-based cab aggregators has come amid the Delhi Government firming up the City Taxi Scheme 2017.
“I agree that ride sharing is a good idea. This is being discussed within the govt. Our concern is women safety. Sharing a ride wid strangers may not be safe for women,” (sic) Kejriwal tweeted.
He also invited suggestions on how to allow ride sharing and simultaneously ensure women safety.
However, the opinion on whether to allow cab sharing or ban it is divided in the absence of any enabling law supporting either.
According to sources, Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot is against banning cab ride sharing and a final decision over it is expected..
“The file related to the proposed City Taxi Scheme is pending with the Minister’s office for his approval. Once the minister takes a decision, the draft will be sent to the Lt Governor and thereafter, it will be made public for general suggestion,” an official said on the condition of anonymity.
Cab aggregators operate with contract carriage permits that allow point-to-point transportation with no stop-overs between the origin and the final destination of a ride.
In contrast, the stage carriage permit, given for public service transport, allows pick and drop at different stops on a route.
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, does not allow shared rides by cabs that operate under contract carriage permits. It can be done only after an amending the Act.
- 10 more held for vandalising car last week 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police Special Cell to probe attack on JNU ex-student Umar Khalid 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Welfare Minister inspects security for women in shelter homes 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 600 CISF jawans to frisk metro commuters 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- I-Day: 10k cops, SWAT to guard Red Fort 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- L-G greets nation on I-Day eve, says treat all with respect, dignity 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC to provide temporary land to artisans for making Ravana effigies 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to hire 7k graduates with smartphone skills 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 37 fresh cases of malaria reported last week 14 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
- Discourage students from flying kites: Govt directs schools 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...