Chased by victim, phone snatcher dies in road mishap
A 21-year-old thief on Friday morning met with an accident after just snatching a teenager’s cell phone in Southeast Delhi’s Okhla area.
Chinmoy Biswal, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) said, “The incident took place around 8.25 am under the jurisdiction of the Okhla Industrial Area police station about a fatal accident at the C Lal Chowk.”
The officer said as per the statement of 17-year-old Sumit Yadav, “he was heading towards the C Lal Chowk when two unidentified bike-borne persons snatched his mobile phone. Following which, Sumit caught hold of the motorcycle but was dragged. At the red light, the pillion rider who had snatched Sumit’s mobile phone was reportedly hit by an unknown vehicle and died on the spot.” On enquiry, the deceased was identified as Sandeep, a resident of Giri Nagar in Govindpuri area.
Locals made a call to the police control room after which he was rushed to a nearby hospital mortuary by the local police. Family of Sandeep was informed and post mortem was conducted. In the entire snatching incident, Sumit too sustained injuries and was taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre. A student of a government school, condition of Sumit is stated to be out of danger.
On the other hand, mobile phone of the student has been recovered from possession of Sandeep. Meanwhile, efforts are on to search for the other accused, who fled on the motorcycle.
- 17-yr-old widow stabbed to death by brother-in-law 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- To address waterlogging issues SDMC launches helpline number 23228325 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 3 loot man outside Axis bank, robbers nabbed after 3 days 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Does NCRB collect details of crimes or only numbers, asks HC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- For collecting property tax, EDMC to organise camps at ward level 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PWD responsible for waterlogging at Minto Road, Shivaji bridge, says N Delhi Mayor 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- IT cell to be set up in Gurugram, Faridabad 18 Jul 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Hopes afloat as DU 6th cut-off list out 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Monsoon Assembly Session to begin from August 6 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt complains against Golf Club for felling over 100 trees illegally 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...