East civic body sets ball rolling for waste-to-energy plant at Ghazipur
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) said it has set the ball rolling for setting up a waste-to-energy plant of 2,000 MT capacity at Ghazipur landfill site.
East Delhi Mayor Neema Bhagat said the corporation is concerned about such fire incidents and the idea now is to "recycle maximum garbage" and "leave minimum trash for dumping".
"We have taken action on disposal of landfill and we have begun the process for setting up the waste-to-energy plant having a capacity to process 2,000 MT of garbage.
"Besides, we have also initiated a plan whereby garbage generated by 2,500 families in Mayur Vihar-Phase I area would be converted to compost. So, the idea is to leave as less as possible for dumping," Bhagat said.
The blaze at the landfill site was extinguished in the early hours on Sunday after over seven hours of fire fighting operations, a fire official said.
The 45-m high landfill was shut down following an order by Lt Governor Anil Baijal in the wake of the collapse incident in which two persons were killed.
The landfill site was saturated in 2002. The civic body said ithad been looking for an alternative site for long, but a clearance from the NGT was needed.
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) manages the landfill site that was started in 1984 and is spread over 29 acres.
According to officials, the permissible height for a garbage dump is 20 metres. Every day, 2,500-3000 metric tonnes of garbage is dumped at the Ghazipur site.
- 24 Delhi Police officials scoop Prez’s medal for meritorious services 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 30 CBI officials, officers bag President’s medal 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rani Jhansi Grade separator all set to miss its eighth deadline 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Setback for AAP as senior leader Ashutosh resigns 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Why can’t other States emulate Delhi in health, edu sectors: CM 16 Aug 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
- Yamuna flows above danger level, IMD forecasts rain till August 20 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PM pays visit to ailing Vajpayee in AIIMS 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt has brought Centre to N-E India doorstep: Modi 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Modi hails all women crew of Tarini vessel 16 Aug 2018 | Sapna Singh
- All-women SWAT team from N-E at Red Fort beams with pride 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...