- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Govt reinstates panel of lawyers in SC, HC scrapped by Baijal
The Delhi Government on Thursday reinstated its panels of lawyers in the Supreme Court and High Court that were scrapped by Lieutenant Governor (L-G)Anil Baijal, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said here, days after the apex court clipped the power of the L-G.
“LG had cancelled Del govt's panels of advocates in HC and SC due to which Del govt's cases in these courts were suffering. Today, Del govt restored both panels (sic),” Kejriwal tweeted.
The panel for the High Court included prominent lawyers like Indira Jaising, Rebecca Mammen John, Colin Gonsalves, among others.
A Government official said that the fees of lawyers' were stuck after the panels were scrapped and the payments will be released now. According to the official, Delhi Law Minister Kailash Gahlot on Thursdday restored the lawyers' panels, which were “wrongly” set aside by Baijal.
Citing alleged procedural lapses, LG had in May declared as “invalid” the panel of fourteen lawyers appointed by the Delhi Government for appearance in cases before Delhi High Court.
In a written communication to Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash, L-G's Principal Secretary Vijay Kumar had said that the orders regarding the panel of lawyers had allegedly been issued without obtaining the approval of the Lt Governor.
- Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi, 2 others sent to 1 month judicial custody 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhiites wakes up to humid morning, rainfall to continue 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- HC bars defacement of properties 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Employees Association writes to MHA over induction of DASS officer in lower grade 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Don who got clean chit in AAP MLA’s marital discord dies 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Snag in Metro halts services, overcrowds Huda City Centre stn 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 58 new Mohalla Clinics, 4 hospitals on the cards 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Days after SC rap, L-G assures of effective waste management 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- 2 smugglers arrested in separate incidents, 46 cartons of liquor seized 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC to build 73 new parking lots in next 2 years 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...