- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
HC pulls up municipal corporations for unauthorised construction
Unauthorised construction would not have come up in the national Capital if the municipal corporations had been vigilant, the Delhi High Court said on Friday.
A Bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar said a lot of judicial time would also have been saved, if the civic bodies had done their job honestly.
“Today, the courts and appellate courts are flooded with petitions relating to illegal construction in Delhi. When the petition comes up before the court, then only you (MCD) take action and issue notice. When these buildings come up, you keep quite and allow it to go up,” it remarked.
It also said that there was a public perception that anyone can go scot-free if they can manage the MCD.
“You get salaries, but you don’t do your job,” an irked bench said and asked the MCD official present in the court “how can you look at your face in the mirror”.
“Allowing unauthorised construction is endangering life of the public at large and it is also impacting the capital’s infrastructure, it added.
The bench was hearing a plea by an NGO — Paardarshita Public Welfare Foundation — which informed the court about the illegal construction going on in 95 properties situated in the Karol Bagh area of the central Delhi.
The NGO’s president, Harkrishan Das Nijhawan, claimed he had complained about it to the MCD, but they were not taking any action.
MCD counsel Ajay Arora disputed the NGO's claim and said that out of 95 properties, illegal construction was only going on in three of them.
Not convinced with the MCD claim, the court issued notice to the North Delhi Municipal Corporation and other authorities concerned and sought their responses.
The NGO has also sought a direction to the CBI to register an FIR against the MCD engineers of the Karol Bagh zone as well as against the private builder.
- Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi, 2 others sent to 1 month judicial custody 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhiites wakes up to humid morning, rainfall to continue 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- HC bars defacement of properties 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Employees Association writes to MHA over induction of DASS officer in lower grade 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Don who got clean chit in AAP MLA’s marital discord dies 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Snag in Metro halts services, overcrowds Huda City Centre stn 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 58 new Mohalla Clinics, 4 hospitals on the cards 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Days after SC rap, L-G assures of effective waste management 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- 2 smugglers arrested in separate incidents, 46 cartons of liquor seized 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC to build 73 new parking lots in next 2 years 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...