IMD warns of thunderstorm in next 72 hrs
After a duststorm hit the national Capital on Tuesday midnight, India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued a warning for next 72 hours anticipating similar weather conditions across large parts of north India including Delhi.
According to the warning bulletin issued in the morning, "Thunderstorm accompanied with gusty winds (with speed 50-70 kms) very likely at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh."
The same predictions have been made for tomorrow atisolated places over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Police said an 18-year-old man was killed and 13 people injured in the dust storm that hit the city in the early hours .
The Police Control Room (PCR) received 78 calls during the storm that started around 3 am.
As many as 59 calls about fallen trees, five calls about fallen electricity poles and 11 calls about hoardings/wall collapse were received by the PCR, police said. Also, four calls received were about damages to cars in the dust storm. Fourteen vehicles - 13 cars and a motorcycle - were damaged in it, the police said.
As many as 80 people were killed in five states due to thunderstorms and lightning strikes since May 13, with the northern state of Uttar Pradesh alone recording 51 deaths, the Home Ministry said on Monday.
Meanwhile, temperature in the morning was recorded at 25 degrees Celsius and generally cloudy sky with light rain or drizzle is expected, a MeT official said.
- 24 Delhi Police officials scoop Prez’s medal for meritorious services 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 30 CBI officials, officers bag President’s medal 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rani Jhansi Grade separator all set to miss its eighth deadline 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Setback for AAP as senior leader Ashutosh resigns 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Why can’t other States emulate Delhi in health, edu sectors: CM 16 Aug 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
- Yamuna flows above danger level, IMD forecasts rain till August 20 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PM pays visit to ailing Vajpayee in AIIMS 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt has brought Centre to N-E India doorstep: Modi 16 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Modi hails all women crew of Tarini vessel 16 Aug 2018 | Sapna Singh
- All-women SWAT team from N-E at Red Fort beams with pride 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...