L-G reviews pollution measures in East Delhi
Delhi-Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal chaired a meeting to review the traffic management and measure to control environment pollution at Kaushambi and Anand Vihar. These two bordering areas are beset with poor quality. The meeting was convened by Environmental Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA) and was attended by Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot, officials from various agencies including Delhi Traffic Police.
In the meeting, EPCA Chairman Dr Bhure Lal made a presentation, highlighting the issues including traffic congestion, sanitation and hygiene, overcrowding the terminals. The Lt Governor was apprised that Anand Vihar is surrounded by two industrial areas i.e. Sahibabad and Patparganj. “These industrial areas are using non-approved fuels for running their industries and burning garbage in the areas.
Baijal advised the environment department, Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) and agencies concerned to devise a mechanism for door-to-door checking and patrolling in these areas for better enforcement of non-usage of non-permitted fuels.
Bhure Lal also informed the L-G regarding the need for setting up of urinals by Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) at Kaushambi for better hygiene and preventing open defecation. Baijal directed DMRC to carry out the work in a time-bound manner. Bhure Lal also highlighted that traffic police should notify the areas as no parking-zone to avoid traffic congestion and inconvenience.
The L-G further directed Commissioner of East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) and Public Work Department (PWD) to carry out the remaining paving work to minimise the dust pollution around bus terminal. The EDMC Commissioner was also directed to take care of general sanitation and hygiene in the area.
Delhi Traffic Police also apprised the L-G of the efforts made to decongest Anand Vihar ISBT. “Removal of encroachment around the foot over bridge, prosecution against obstructive parking is some of the measures taken to decongest the area,” an official from the L-G stated.
Baijal urged that possibility of multi-modal integration system should be explored for better traffic management.
The EPCA Chairman also raised the issues of industries running in Badli, Bawana, Narela and Delhi Technical Univwersity areas which are responsible for causing air pollution. He said that most of these industries are burning wastes that need to be checked. Lieutenant Governor directed Secretary (Environment) and DPCC to look into the matter and take appropriate action as per law.
- 17-yr-old widow stabbed to death by brother-in-law 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- To address waterlogging issues SDMC launches helpline number 23228325 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 3 loot man outside Axis bank, robbers nabbed after 3 days 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Does NCRB collect details of crimes or only numbers, asks HC 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- For collecting property tax, EDMC to organise camps at ward level 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- PWD responsible for waterlogging at Minto Road, Shivaji bridge, says N Delhi Mayor 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- IT cell to be set up in Gurugram, Faridabad 18 Jul 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Hopes afloat as DU 6th cut-off list out 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Monsoon Assembly Session to begin from August 6 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt complains against Golf Club for felling over 100 trees illegally 18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...