Man booked for indulging in obscene acts in bus
In a shocking incident, a middle aged man has indulged in obscene acts in a moving DTC bus and tried to molest a third year Delhi University student sitting right next to him when she protested in South Delhi’s Vasant Vihar area. The student, who filmed the entire act, has lodged an FIR with police after posting the video on social media.
The student told The Pioneer how despite being surrounded by seven to eight co-passengers, nobody, including woman, came forward to help her. To add to the woes of the student, she was made to wait inside the Vasant Vihar police station for close to six hours.
The incident happened on February 7 around 2.30 pm when she had boarded bus no 774. The girl said, “I was sitting on the window seat. A man, sitting next to me, started shaking the seat. What I saw next was the man was masturbating. He even tried to touch my waist with his elbow inappropriately. I was shocked. I made a video of the entire act. When I called out to a fellow woman, she plainly said, “Acha”.”
The student further said, “After that incident, I was really scared and was in a state of shock. It was only when I narrated the incident to a college friend after two days that she encouraged me to post the video on Twitter. It was then that I mustered up the courage to come out and speak about the incident.”
The girl finally decided to approach the Vasant Vihar Police Station on Saturday. She said that the police were supportive, but took almost six hours to register an FIR. “I really want that person to be arrested as soon as possible. It is high time that women must stand up for themselves,” she said.
Additional DCP (South-West) Monika Bhardwaj denied any delay and said that the FIR was registered within an hour of her complaint. “We have the suspect’s photo and are making all efforts to identify him,” she said, adding that a case under Sections pertaining to obscene acts and sexual harassment has been registered.
DCW chief Swati Jai Hind has stated, “I saw her shocking tweet and the act caught on video was too sick. I immediately ensured registration of her FIR. Worst is no 2one in bus came to her aid. This man is a danger to society and should be given strong punishment!”
- 10 more held for vandalising car last week 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police Special Cell to probe attack on JNU ex-student Umar Khalid 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Welfare Minister inspects security for women in shelter homes 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 600 CISF jawans to frisk metro commuters 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- I-Day: 10k cops, SWAT to guard Red Fort 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- L-G greets nation on I-Day eve, says treat all with respect, dignity 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC to provide temporary land to artisans for making Ravana effigies 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to hire 7k graduates with smartphone skills 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 37 fresh cases of malaria reported last week 14 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
- Discourage students from flying kites: Govt directs schools 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...