Notice to Pierce Brosnan for surrogate pan masala ad
The Delhi Government’s Health Department has issued a show cause notice to Hollywood actor Pierce Brosnan for appearing in a surrogate advertisement of an Indian pan masala brand. The Cigarette and Other Tobacco Product Act, 2003 bans all kind of direct and indirect advertisements of tobacco products.
Additional Director (Health) SK Arora said they have come to know that promotion of a tobacco and pan masala brand was being done through media platforms and points of sale, shops and other vendors throughout India.”It may be noted that Mr Pierce Brosnan who is promoting the brand in media, TV channel, vendors and others if any have also become party to this violation and are likely to be punished as per COTPA 2003,” read the notice.
Areca nut (supari) in pan masala has cancer causing agent which has been scientifically proven and Brosnan, an actor who is a role model for lakhs of people especially youngsters, should not indulge in promotion of such hazardous products, it read.
The Irish actor has been asked to clarify his position within 10 days.
The 63-year-old star had earlier said his contract stated that he was to advertise a “breath freshener/tooth whitener” and that he was shocked and saddened by the deceptive use of his image in the pan masala brand’s advertisement.
The city government also asked the pan masala group why appropriate punitive action be not initiated against its directors and office-bearers.
- 10 more held for vandalising car last week 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Police Special Cell to probe attack on JNU ex-student Umar Khalid 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Welfare Minister inspects security for women in shelter homes 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 600 CISF jawans to frisk metro commuters 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- I-Day: 10k cops, SWAT to guard Red Fort 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- L-G greets nation on I-Day eve, says treat all with respect, dignity 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC to provide temporary land to artisans for making Ravana effigies 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to hire 7k graduates with smartphone skills 15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 37 fresh cases of malaria reported last week 14 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
- Discourage students from flying kites: Govt directs schools 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...