- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Speeding tempo kills 2 DTC bus drivers, 6 hurt
Two DTC bus drivers were killed while six others sustained serious injuries under the Madhuban Chowk underpass when a speeding tempo rammed into a bike and a group of men. The accident happened in the wee hours of Friday.
Narrating the exact sequence of events, Sumit Kumar, one of the injured, said, “At around 10:40 pm, the bus heading towards Sultanpuri broke down under the Madhuban Chowk underpass. Following which, we informed the nearest bus depot and called in the mechanics. Since it was getting late, we also called in another driver, Sunil, who brought food.
“It was pitch dark under the underpass so we switched on the lights on our mobile phones and also switched on the lights of the rear side of the bus. Suddenly we saw a speeding tempo coming on our side of the carriageway. Though we waved at the driver to stop but he did not,” he added.
The deceased have been identified as DTC drivers, 36-year-old Sunil Kumar and Pramod Kumar. While Pramod Kumar was the one who was driving the DTC bus, Sunil Kumar was called in to get some food.
Among the injured are Sumit Singh, conductor of the bus, Sukhpreet, Mohan Kumar Mishra, Mohd Abrar, Ananda (all are mechanics) and Bhubneshwar Jha (another mechanic who was on the bike).
The tempo driver, Karan Singh was arrested by the Rani Bagh police personnel.
“The driver was caught by the locals and handed over to the police. “We have arrested the driver and seized the vehicle,” Milind Dumbere, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West), said.
The bus, which belonged to Rohini Depot-3 had broken down, and was being repaired near the Madhuban Chowk Underpass around 12.30 am when the speeding tempo rammed into it from behind, the police said.
- Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi, 2 others sent to 1 month judicial custody 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Delhiites wakes up to humid morning, rainfall to continue 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- HC bars defacement of properties 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Employees Association writes to MHA over induction of DASS officer in lower grade 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Don who got clean chit in AAP MLA’s marital discord dies 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Snag in Metro halts services, overcrowds Huda City Centre stn 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 58 new Mohalla Clinics, 4 hospitals on the cards 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Days after SC rap, L-G assures of effective waste management 17 Jul 2018 | Sapna Singh
- 2 smugglers arrested in separate incidents, 46 cartons of liquor seized 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NMC to build 73 new parking lots in next 2 years 17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...