Wind of change cleans city's air
Improved wind speed brought down level of pollutants in national Capital's air quality on Thursday with the Air Quality Index (AQI) shifting to ‘moderate' zone. The breeze cleared up the hazy sky bringing much need relief to people in the city.
Delhi's average AQI was recorded 194, marking a significant improvement from Wednesday's 282 on a scale of 500, classified as ‘poor'.
Dipankar Saha, Air Lab Chief of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), said, “Air quality is improving every hour and we hope it will continue to improve.”
“Now the wind is blowing very easily from north to south with a speed of 4.5 m/s, which has resulted in dispersion of pollutants, leading to improvement in the air quality after a long pause,” he had said.
The United Nations on December 5 marked the first International Smog Day. It is a moment to remember all of the people who have died prematurely, and avoidably, because of the air pollution, the United Nations Environment Programme had said in a statement.
Pollution is considered severe plus or emergency when readings of PM2.5 and PM10 cross 300 and 500 ug/m3, respectively. The corresponding prescribed standards are 60 and 100.
An AQI between 0-50 is considered good, 51-100 satisfactory, 101-200 moderate, 201-300 poor, 301-400 very poor, and 401-500 severe.
- 37 fresh cases of malaria reported last week 14 Aug 2018 | SUGANDHA
- Discourage students from flying kites: Govt directs schools 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Metro’s Yellow Line to spread patriotism message with pics of Gandhi and Indian icons 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Transportation of live heart: Special corridor created, 35-year-old saved 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- NDMC’s smart city project: Rajnath launches Wi-Fi, 360o cameras 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brace up to curb winter pollution, Civic bodies told 14 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Security stepped up in Gurugram ahead of Independence Day 14 Aug 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Pvt company owner held for molesting minor trainee 13 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Govt to schools: Report any untoward incident to us before reaching media 13 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter
- City’s SWAT women commandos don designer uniform 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...