HEALTH & FITNESS
Dengue claims 30 lives, over 14000 people affected across country
With the onset of monsoon, dengue has affected over 14,000 people across the country and claimed the lives of 30 people till July 22 this year, according to data from a government body.
According to National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme (NVBDCP) under the Union Health Ministry, 14,233 cases have been reported across the country.
In Kerala, 2,897 cases have been detected till July 22 while the disease claimed the lives of 21 people, the highest in the country till now.
In Karnataka, around 1,903 cases have already been reported. There was no death reported in the state.
In 2017, the disease had affected around 1,88,401 people and claimed 325 lives across the country.
In Delhi, till July this year, 90 cases of dengue have been reported although there has been no death, according to the NVBDCP data.
Union Health Minister J P Nadda had reviewed the reparatory activities with the principal secretaries of 20 high-burden states, including Delhi, on April 27.
Nadda had also written to Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal recently, stressing the need for initiating actions to implement preventive and control measures to check spread of dengue and other vector-borne diseases.
He had called for strengthening of vector-control activities with deployment of trained personnel and availability of logistics in municipal corporations.
Cases of vector-borne diseases are usually reported between July and November, but the period may stretch up to mid-December.
- Resistance training boosts motivation to exercise 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- YouTube videos on plastic surgery spreading misinformation: Study 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US varsity signs MoU with Indian Nursing Council 19 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Brain tumours may occur in children with common genetic syndrome 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Higher BMI may increase your BP as well 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Delhi official wins WHO award on tobacco control initiative 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Smartphone screens harbour more germs than a toilet seat: Study 18 Aug 2018 | IANS
- IRDAI asks Insurance firms to cover mental illness in policies 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Birth control app highlights emerging health tech market 17 Aug 2018 | AP
- Doctors Without Borders welcomes WHO's new recommendations to treat drug-resistant TB 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...