- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
HEALTH & FITNESS
Longer the duration of diabetes, more risk of erectile dysfunction: study
The longer the duration of diabetes in men, the greater was the risk of them suffering erectile dysfunction, a new observational study conducted over a period of two years, has claimed.
Co-authored by doctors of the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SGRH) here, it was recently published in Current Medicine Research & Practice journal.
"The study was done on 225 diabetic males between the age of 18-65 with type 2 diabetes, and 50 non-diabetic males in the same age group," the SGRH said in a statement.
According to Atul Gogia, senior consultant, SGRH's Department of Medicine, and one of the authors, said, "One of the interesting findings of our study was that longer the duration of diabetes, more was the risk of them suffering erectile dysfunction (ED)."
Among patients studied, those with diabetes duration of less than five years, 43.6 per cent had ED with only 3.6 per cent having severe ED, he said.
"Those having it with a duration of 6-10 years, 83 per cent had ED with 10.9 per cent having severe ED. In patients with diabetes duration of more than 10 years, 78.6 per cent had ED with 16.4 per cent having severe ED," Gogia said.
Prevalence of ED in non-diabetic control group of 50 individuals was found to be 46 per cent, the study said, which was conducted from April 2015 to June 2017.
According to Atul Kakar, co-author and vice-chairperson, Department of Medicine, SGRH, "ED in men is commonly seen complication in type 2 diabetes mellitus."
"It is described as the condition due to which there is incompetence to accomplish and sustain erection which is needed to have satisfactory sexual intercourse. ED has high prevalence in diabetics and occurs in early ages of diabetic population as compared to non-diabetics," he said.
The severity of ED among male diabetics, was assessed based on sexual health inventory for men (SHIM) questionnaire.
The SHIM questionnaire uses five sexual function components which include erection, orgasm, desire for sex , intercourse satisfaction and overall satisfaction, according to Manu Gupta, another co-author of the study and senior consultant, department of urology at the SGRH.
- Childhood abuse may up endometriosis risk in adulthood 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Scent of coffee may help you crack GMAT: Study 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Unhealthy fat, cholesterol linked with lower fertility 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Brain area linked to binge eating identified 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Can a magnetic wire help early detection of cancer 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- 4 in 10 Indians unaware of cyberbullying: Study 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Childhood infections may affect academic performance 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Younger pregnant women at high risk of prenatal depression: Study 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Nano bubbles filled with drug may kill cancer cells 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Empanelled hospitals to have Ayushman Mitra to assist patients seeking treatment under the scheme 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...