HEALTH & FITNESS
Regular exercises can improve brain functioning: Study
Are you having difficulty in memorising phone numbers or other valuable data for long term use? You need to start exercising to improve your memory functioning.
Indulging in aerobic exercises can help you increase the brain size that further enhances the memory function and maintains a good brain health, says a new research.
The brain health decreases with age, with the average brain shrinking by approximately five per cent after the age of 40, as mentioned in the study, published in the journal Neuroimage.
Aerobic exercises can help a particular region of the brain called the hippocampus, which is critical for memory and other brain functions. It may also prevent ageing-related neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and dementia, the researcher noted.
"When you exercise, you produce a chemical called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which may help to prevent age-related decline by reducing the deterioration of the brain," said Joseph Firth, researcher at the Western Sydney University in Australia.
The researchers reviewed 14 clinical trials, which examined the brain scans of 737 people before and after aerobic exercise programs.
The participants, aged between 24 to 76 years, included a mix of healthy adults, people with mild cognitive impairment such as Alzheimer's and people with a clinical diagnosis of mental illness including depression and schizophrenia.
The researchers examined effects of aerobic exercise, including stationary cycling, walking, and treadmill running. The length of the interventions ranged from three to 24 months with a range of 2-5 sessions per week.
The results showed that while exercise had no effect on total hippocampal volume, it did significantly increase the size of the left region of the hippocampus in humans.
- Meghalaya Health Insurance Scheme policy period extended 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Govt extends caps price of knee implants for one more year 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- 128 malaria, 64 dengue cases in Delhi this season 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- PM likely to announce launch of Ayushman Bharat-NHPS on I-Day 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Vaping damages vital immune system cells: Study 14 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Drug-laced mosquito net may help prevent malaria 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Marijuana safe to treat epilepsy in kids: Study 13 Aug 2018 | IANS
- Wearable Gadgets and Health Insurance 13 Aug 2018 | Agencies
- Blue light from digital devices could accelerate blindness 13 Aug 2018 | IANS
- DNA Technology Bill; 'Centre will answer every concern' 12 Aug 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...