- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
HEALTH & FITNESS
Scientists identify gene that helps treat cancer
The gene that strengthens the human immunity system has been identified by Australian scientists, it was revealed on Monday.
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)identified the gene that plays a critical role in regulating the body's immune response to infection including cancer and diabetes.
The gene has existed for 500 million years. Its identification could lead to the development of new treatments for a "variety of diseases including cancer, diabetes and inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis", said CSIRO researcher Cameron Stewart.
"Our immune system produces proteins called cytokines that help fortify the immune system and work to prevent viruses and other pathogens from replicating and causing disease," Stewart said in a statement.
The yet unnamed gene, currently referred to as C6 or f106, "regulates this process by switching off the production of certain cytokines to stop our immune response from spiralling out of control", Xinhua news agency reported.
The C6 has existed for more than 500 million years, preserved and passed down from simple organisms all the way to humans. But only now are we gaining insights into its importance, the scietists said.
- Childhood abuse may up endometriosis risk in adulthood 18 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Scent of coffee may help you crack GMAT: Study 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Unhealthy fat, cholesterol linked with lower fertility 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Brain area linked to binge eating identified 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Can a magnetic wire help early detection of cancer 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- 4 in 10 Indians unaware of cyberbullying: Study 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Childhood infections may affect academic performance 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Younger pregnant women at high risk of prenatal depression: Study 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Nano bubbles filled with drug may kill cancer cells 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Empanelled hospitals to have Ayushman Mitra to assist patients seeking treatment under the scheme 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...