- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
FBI searches home of missing 3-year-old Indian girl in US
The FBI has searched the home of a 3-year-old Indian girl who is missing since Saturday when her foster father reportedly sent her outside around 3 am as punishment for not drinking her milk, US media reports said.
Sherin Mathews, who has developmental issues and limited verbal communication skills, was last seen outside her family's backyard in Richardson, Dallas.
Richardson police along with an FBI evidence recovery team entered the house of Wesley Mathews last night to execute a search warrant, police Sergeant Kevin Perlich said.
The search was part of the "natural progression" of the investigation, he was quoted as saying by the Dallas Morning News.
Police went door-to-door in the neighbourhood and used search dogs and helicopters to look for Sherin.
Investigators will process what they have collected, including security footage, electronics and items in the family's three vehicles that were towed from the home, Perlich said.
Sherin's father, Mathews, 37, was arrested on Saturday on a charge of abandoning or endangering a child. He was released from custody on Sunday after posting USD 250,000 bond.
He is required to wear an electronic monitoring device and surrender his passport as part of the conditions of his bond, the paper said.
Meanwhile, officials with Texas Child Protective Services removed the toddler's 4-year-old sister from the family on Monday and placed her in protective custody as police continue to search for the missing child.
The CPS would only say they have had "contact" with the Mathews family before, but "details are confidential," NBC Dallas reported.
Mathews, said to be from Kerala, told police that he put Sherin outside and told her to stand next to a large tree about 3 am on Saturday, an arrest-warrant affidavit said.
The tree was behind a fence, about 100 feet south of the family's home and across an alley.
Mathews admitted to police that he knew coyotes had been seen in the alley, the affidavit said.
Mathews told the police that he checked on Sherin about 3:15 am and she was gone, the affidavit said.
After looking around for her, he said he then went inside to do laundry and decided to wait until morning to continue searching or for her to return on her own, Perlich said.
Police were not alerted to her disappearance until about five hours later.
"Why was the last sighting at 3 o'clock and the parents not call us until after 8 am, that's the question we want answered as well," Perlich told KXAS-TV NBC5.
"As far as why she was out there, how long she was out there, that's the questions we have for the parents."
The girl's mother does not face any charges. She was in the house at the time, but was reportedly asleep and unaware of what Wesley Mathews was doing, Perlich said.
Sherin's parents are no longer speaking with police and have since retained legal counsel, he said.
"I don't know what happened," said Philip Mathew, Sherin Mathews's great-uncle.
The Mathewses reportedly adopted the girl two years ago from an Indian orphanage. She was malnourished and physically underdeveloped and does not have the same language skills a typical 3-year-old would in the US, Perlich said.
He told NBC5 it was not unusual for her to be awake late at night to eat to increase her weight.
- Former CEC of Nepal nominated envoy to India 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- India, Iran discuss boosting economic cooperation, connectivity 16 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Illegal Indian immigrants being treated like criminals, turbans of Sikhs taken away in US jail, says advocacy groups 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Small American city revives its forgotten Indian connection 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Swaraj holds wide-ranging talks with her Bahraini counterpart 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India signs revised travel agreement with Bangladesh 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Anti-terror ops to be focus of mega military drill featuring India, Pak in Russia 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India, US likely to hold first tri-services military drill later this year: Official 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Houston varsity signs MoU with Indian Institute of Petroleum And Energy 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Newton's apple tree may soon take ‘root' in India 15 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Jul 2018 | Amitabh Shukla | New Delhi
Branching off the main Delhi-Chandigarh-Shimla highway on National Highway 22, which some still call by its earlier name of Hindustan-Tibet Road, are three quaint hill stations—Kasauli, Dagshai and Subathu—all military cantonments, which you cannot miss if you are a travel enthusiast. The charm of long leisurely walks, chirping of all varieties of colorful birds, smell of wild and exotic flowers, the fresh coat of green on leaves when it rains, the...