India can help in resolving N Korea crisis: US commander
A top American commander feels that India can play a role in defusing the North Korean crisis by helping the leadership in Pyongyang to understand the seriousness of the threat posed by its nuclear programme.
Admiral Harry Harris, commander of the US Pacific Command, says it is for India to decide on what kind of role it wants to play.
"I think India's voice is a loud voice, that people pay attention to. So, I think that India could help North Korea, perhaps, understand the seriousness by which the United States views that threat," Harris says.
Tensions have risen since North Korea tested two intercontinental ballistic missiles in July.
India along with the international community condemned the North Korean missile tests and has been implementing the sanctions imposed against it by the US.
Early this year, India suspended its trade links with North Korea, a move which was praised by the Trump administration.
- NY schools to educate American students about Sikhism: Report 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indians top among foreigners visiting Nepal in first half of 2018: report 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin entrepreneur's UK start-up set to combat fake news 22 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Protected Bangladesh interests while maintaining good ties with India: Hasina 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Sri Lanka is India's trusted partner in South Asia: PM 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Austin Fernando to be Sri Lanka's new envoy to India 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- UK peer calls for action to prevent fall in Indian student numbers 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India, US to discuss bilateral, regional, global issues during '2+2' talks 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Indian detainees in US not handcuffed, says volunteer 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
- India pushing ahead on Sustainable Devolvement Goals: Akbaruddin 20 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | AFP | tehran
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that negotiations with the United States are “useless” because it does not abide by agreements. “As I have previously said, we cannot trust in the words of the United States and even in their signature, so negotiations with the United States are useless,” Khamenei told a gathering of Iranian diplomats in Tehran...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Pioneer News Service | Lucknow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday targeted the entire opposition, questioning the motive behind the no-confidence motion moved by the opposition in the Lok Sabha. Addressing a Kisan Kalyan Rally in Shahjahanpur on Saturday afternoon, Modi said the people of the country trusted him and his government but some political parties did not...