US man accused of killing Indian techie pleads not guilty
A US Navy veteran charged with killing an Indian techie and injuring two others in a racially motivated hate crime at a bar in Kansas City early this year has pleaded not guilty.
Adam Purinton, 52, was charged with first-degree murder in the February shooting in Olathe that killed 32-year-old Srinivas Kuchibhotla. He also faces two counts of attempted first-degree murder for wounding two other men.
During a preliminary hearing yesterday, Purinton pleaded "not guilty". He waived his preliminary hearing and the not guilty plea was entered on his behalf.
The next hearing is scheduled for May 8. He faces a maximum penalty of death or life in prison.
Federal prosecutors allege that Purinton targeted Kuchibhotla and another Indian man, Alok Madasani, because of their race or ethnicity. The third man was shot when tried to help the two victims.
Witnesses said Purinton yelled at the two Indian men to "get out of my country" before pulling the trigger.
After the shooting, Purinton drove 70 miles east to an Applebee's restaurant in Clinton, Missouri, where he told a bartender what he'd done.
Kuchibhotla was working at Garmin International.
Federal prosecutors alleged that Purinton committed the offences after substantial planning and premeditation, attempted to kill more than one person in a single criminal episode, and knowingly created a grave risk of death to others on the scene.
- Indo-Israel missile defence system to be procured by Israeli Navy 16 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India, China armies celebrate I-Day at Nathu La 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India gifts 30 ambulances to Nepal on Independence Day 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Indian pilgrim beheaded by rear blade of helicopter in Nepal 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Indians among over 100 people apprehended in US 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India releases 7 Pak prisoners in goodwill gesture 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India to promote Buddhist Circuit in China: Alphons 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Indian-origin woman wins share in ex-girlfriend's UK home 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- US envoy calls on Rijiju, discusses terror, homeland security 13 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Maldives wants to rid itself of excessive Indian influence: Chinese media 13 Aug 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...