- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Freeing Mosul is a start for restoration of peace
This refers to the editorial, “The big Mosul victory” (July 13). The liberation of Mosul from the stranglehold of the Islamic State (IS) is a major victory for Iraq’s military offensive. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s announcement of the “collapse of terrorist state of falsehood” is apt. Iraq’s military strength is said to have wiped out all local terror pockets of different parts of Mosul including the old city. However, neither the US nor the rest of the world, including Iraq, can afford to drown themselves in beating the drum over the Mosul success because terror seeds have already been sown across the globe by the IS for far too long to go away so quickly.
The world leaders' focus should shift on smashing the isolated IS groups around the world, which have bred a new generation of youngsters which is allured by its devious ideology. Iraq, meanwhile, has to build on the success by ensuring the liquidation of terror outfits reportedly holed up in Hawiza and Tal Afar. Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi cannot ignore the rescue and rehabilitation cries of the civilians devastated by the mind-boggling battle. Since liberation, the reconstruction of Mosul and delegation of local responsibilities are crucial for Iraq. The Mosul success should act as a trigger for a no-holds-barred fight against the IS as well as every other terror outfit in the world.
- Nelson mandela day 19 Jul 2018 | TS Karthik
- Historic victory 19 Jul 2018 | Silky
- Election meddling 19 Jul 2018 | S Vasudeva
- Restore taj’s glory 19 Jul 2018 | Devendra Khurana
- A sense of positivity is least expected from the Congress 19 Jul 2018 | BP Srivastava
- Shoddy Work 18 Jul 2018 | Mohd Faheem
- Rise above politics 18 Jul 2018 | LK Kandpal
- Winning hearts 18 Jul 2018 | Azhar A Khan
- When defeat is more graceful than victory 18 Jul 2018 | Sujit De
- Act before it’s too late 17 Jul 2018 | Tharcius S Fernando
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Jamshedpur
The city police have arrested a Bangladeshi citizen Saheedul Sheikh along with his relative involved in duping a person Rs five lakh. Acting on a case of cheating and forgery registered with Sakchi police station on July 14, a special team of Jamshedpur Police arrested him along with Sheikh Firdaus...