- No-confidence motion against Modi government defeated
- I want to assure people of Andhra Pradesh that they will not be left behind : PM
- I am 'chowkidar' and 'bhagidar', but not a 'saudagar' like you: PM to Rahul Gandh
- PM Modi to visit South Africa, attend BRICS Summit from July 23
- LS takes up for discussion no-trust vote against Modi govt
- Shiv Sena MPs to remain absent for no-trust motion against Modi govt
- India, US first '2+2 dialogue' on September 6: State Department
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Reforestation is more than just planting trees
This refers to the editorial, “Greening Delhi” (July 10). Reversing its original decision of chopping about 17,000 trees in New Delhi, the Government must be complimented for planning 31 lakh trees around the Capital and creating a wall of trees to protect the population from the onslaught of annual dusty storms. While any vegetation is preferable and helpful in an area like greenery stressed capital, specialised multi-agencies’ contribution and audit, together with participation of all stakeholders will make it an exceptional venture.
A recent study from London stressed that any green cover is able to fix carbon as well as real and undisturbed forest. Rotterdam metropolitan area is massively greening areas that are available for plantation. These steps go a long way in climate mitigation and pollution control and augmentation of groundwater reserves. The restoration is, however, much more than planting the tress. It is mobilising the entire resource gamut of landscape management.
Many individuals in this country have used traditional techniques to grow trees and forests in States like Rajasthan and the results have been tremendous. If we have so much talent in our country, Delhi must tap all high-tech and traditional resources to make not only its periphery but whole of NCR green.
- Women: the driving force 21 Jul 2018 | CK Sardana
- Keep the sky safe 21 Jul 2018 | Ganapathi Bhat
- Ensure ecological balance for sustainability 21 Jul 2018 | Prakash C Dixit
- No more 20 Jul 2018 | G David Milton
- Law won’t help 20 Jul 2018 | Suresh
- About time 20 Jul 2018 | JS Acharya
- Rule of law is a must to prevent mob justice 20 Jul 2018 | Kajal Chaterjee
- Nelson mandela day 19 Jul 2018 | TS Karthik
- Historic victory 19 Jul 2018 | Silky
- Election meddling 19 Jul 2018 | S Vasudeva
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...