7 Cong MLAs from Vaghela camp quit Assembly
The seven rebel Congress MLAs from Shankersinh Vaghela camp who were expelled from the party couple of days back on Friday resigned from the State Legislative Assembly.
Talking to media persons, Gujarat Assembly Speaker Ramanlal Vora said he had accepted resignations of all the seven MLAs. These seven legislators had voted against Congress official candidate Ahmed Patel in Rajya Sabha polls that saw Patel, BJP president Amit Shah and Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani making it to the Upper House of Parliament.
Those who resigned from the assembly are Vaghela’s son and Bayad legislator Mahendrasinh Vaghela, two legislators whose votes were declared invalid in Rajya Sabha polls – Raghavji Patel representing Jamnagar rural constituency and Bholabhai Gohil of Jasdan constituency in Rajkot district. The others who quit Assembly include Godhra legislator C K Raulji, Mansa legislator Amit Chaudhari, Jamanagar (North) legislator Dharmendrasinh Jadeja and Sanand legislator Karamshi Patel. Karamshi was one of the 44 legislators who had been to Bengaluru but cross-voted on the polling day against Ahmed Patel.
According to Vora, Sanand legislator Patel told him that during the voting, he was being prodded by Congress election agent Shaktisinh Gohil to show his vote to BJP election agent present then. “Karamshi Patel claimed that he was instigated by the election officer of Congress to show his vote to election officer of BJP. However, he did not show it,” he added while talking to reporters.
The claim later substantiated by Karamshi and said that on being told to show his vote to BJP election agent, he refused. He further said that he took the decision to vote against Ahmed Patel in a spur of moment and that there was no money that changed hands.
“God has given me enough and there was no financial involvement. Neither Congress nor BJP had offered any money for my vote. I will join BJP now along with other legislators,’’ he added.
Since July last week, 13 Congress legislators out of 57 have resigned from the assembly. Shankersinh Vaghela has quit the Congress party, but yet not resigned as an MLA.
- UP Cong to protest against BJP Govts over law and order 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC asks Committee chief to explore possibility to compensate victims 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Irrigation scheme not running at full utilisation: CAG report 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC stays Madras HC order giving 196 marks to NEET students 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP Govt to set flood relief camp in affected districts 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UPPCL to set up special cell to bring down line losses 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Woman alleges rape by 40 men for 4 days, 3 held 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EC junks Cong 60L fake MP voter ID claim 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Transporters go on indefinite agitation for various demands 21 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Senior BJP leader shot in Rae Bareli 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of former State Finance Minister Dr Ramchandra Singhdeo. The Chief Minister reached the residence of legendary leader in the capital and paid floral tributes...