Abdullah to be chief guest at Af-India Test debut in B’luru
Taking forward their bilateral relations to a new height, in a historic first, India and Afghanistan will play their first Test match in Bengaluru from Thursday. Afghanistan Chief Executive Dr Abdullah Abdullah will be the chief guest at the inaugural match while the Indian side will be represented by Rajyawardhan Rathore, Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports.
Afghanistan achieved Test playing nation status in 2017. However, India has been associated with the development of cricket in Afghanistan since 2001 when Afghanistan joined International Cricket Council.
Sources said Afghan players have received training and coaching from Indian coach in their formative years and India had helped in the construction of cricket stadiums and preparing grounds in Afghanistan. The Greater Noida Sports Complex Ground became the home ground for Afghan cricket team after they decided to shift their home ground from Sharjah. Sources added cricket has become a unifying factor in the warn torn Afghanistan. Afghan players like Rashed Khan and Mohammed Nabi won hearts in India with their performance in the IPL matches.
India has been promoting Afghan players in the IPL too particularly after the Pakistani players were banned from playing in IPL
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...