BJP's excitement over K'taka result a misconception, says Sachin Pilot
Rajasthan Congress chief Sachin Pilot said on Wednesday the BJP's excitement over Karnataka election result was "misconception" since its vote share was less than the Congress although it won more number of seats.
Though the Congress won 26 fewer seats than the BJP in the bitterly fought Karnataka election, its vote share was nearly two per cent points higher.
"Despite being second in place in terms of seats, the Congress got nearly 6 lakh more votes than the BJP. People have not given clear mandate to the BJP to make government in Karnataka. The over-excitement of the BJP on the election result is its mere misconception," Pilot said.
At the end of counting of votes for 222 of the 224 constituencies, the BJP emerged as the single largest party, bagging 104 seats with a vote share of 36.2 per cent while the Congress came second with 78 seats accounting for 38 per cent of the votes.
According to the official data, the Congress' vote share rose marginally to 38 per cent in the current polls from 36.6 per cent in 2013 but the party had to settle for lesser seats. The ruling party had a strength of 122 MLAs in the outgoing house.
On the other hand, the BJP's vote share remained marginally lower than that of Congress but at 36.2 per cent, it recorded its highest so far and also managed to bag more seats. However, it will fall short of nine seats for a comfortable majority in a House of 224. The BJP had 40 seats in the outgoing house.
Pilot alleged that the BJP was targeting castes and dividing people on the basis of religion and communities for votes.
"The BJP has always blamed Congress for casteism but it is a reality that BJP leaders have divided the society," he said.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...