CM promises floating TN solar power plant
After setting up the world’s largest solar power plant at a single location (Kamuthy in Ramanathapuram district which generates 648 MW clean power), Tamil Nadu is out to set up another innovation; the country’s biggest floating solar power plant.
Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy announced in the Assembly on Tuesday that a floating solar plant of 250 MW capacity would be set up in the State at a cost of Rs 1,125 crore. Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh are the two States which has already commissioned floating solar power stations, though of much smaller capacity.
He said that Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Company (TANGEDCO), the State-owned power utility and the public sector Solar Energy Corporation of India will jointly set up this innovative project.
“Besides generating power, this floating power station would mitigate the problem of evaporation in our dams,” said the Chief Minister.
Though he did not reveal the location of the floating solar power plant, it is widely believed that the project may come up either at Vaigai dam or Veeranam tank where the experts of SECI had held viability studies.
The Kamuthy power plant was the cynosure of all eyes when it was commissioned as the world’s largest solar plant in 2016 by the then Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa. The Adani Group owned plant was built in a record time of eight months amidst efforts by some political parties to derail the project.
According to a policy note released by the Government , the State has a generation capacity of 2034 MW solar power as on March 2018. Tamil Nadu had set a target of 8,884 MW solar power by the year 2023, as per the Vision 2023 document released by Jayalalithaa in 2012.
Palaniswamy said that the solar energy policy would be amended suitably to speed up the works to meet the target set by Amma. .
- Investigate Hapur lynching case: SC to IGP Meerut 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- We want our people to travel in India: Alphons 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Okhla MLA Amanatullah threatened me: Cong worker 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- InShort 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Jodhpur, Marwar cleanest among major rly stations 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Govt committed to find solution for affected homebuyers: Min 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- US envoy meets Rijiju, talks terror 14 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rahul not worthy to have debate with PM: Prasad 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Shah concealed his liabilities in RS poll affidavit: Cong to EC 14 Aug 2018 | PNS
- BJP makes strong pitch for simultaneous LS, Assembly polls 14 Aug 2018 | Deepak K Upreti
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Aug 2018 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
Governor Prof Ganeshi Lal released Odia version of ‘Exam Warriors’, written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, here on Monday. Releasing the book, the Governor said a common child can build self a superman by strong commitment and will power...