- Fresh 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia's Lombok
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia wins gold in men's 65 kg in Asian Games in Jakarta
- India opens medal count at Asiad with bronze in rifle mixed team
- Kerala flood toll reaches 370, rescue operations continue
- Vajpayee's ashes immersed in the Ganges at Har ki Pairi
Congress to make a ‘new revelation’ on Rafale
The last words on the Rafale deal may not yet have been said. The Congress is likely to come out with some new revelation about the pricing of the deal in Parliament when the budget session resumes after the recess.
Talking to media persons on the sidelines of the Difficult Dialogue conference here, senior Congress leader Salman Khurshid said that the party was in possession of some important information on the pricing aspect and it will place them in Parliament.
"We have our trump card. Congress president Rahul Gandhi has sought time to speak on this issue in the Lok Sabha. Wait for him to make some important revelation, " Khurshid said.
Khurshid said the Congress was aware of the implications of making public sensitive aspects of customising the fighter aircraft to suit our defence requirements. He clarified that the Congress was not seeking those details and was merely asking the Modi Government to come clean on the pricing aspect.
Khurshid hinted that the Congress may reveal the approximate price of Rafale jets arrived at during the UPA regime. "We are not shooting in the dark like the BJP does. We are levelling charges on the basis of solid facts, " he maintained.
The Congress has been attacking the Modi Government over the issue, claiming the deal negotiated under the UPA was cheaper than the one signed by the current dispensation to procure 36 Rafale fighter jets from France at a cost of Rs 58,000 crore. And Congress president Rahul Gandhi has been alleging that there is a scam in the deal that has been "personally" enabled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
On triple talaq Bill, Khurshid indicated that the Congress may come forward with a crucial suggestion that could help in sustaining a divorced Muslim woman if her husband was a destitute person not in a position to support her or give her alimony. "Sending such a man to jail is not going to help the divorced wife. The state must develop a mechanism to sustain her. We may come out with some recommendations when the triple talaq Bill is debated in the Rajya Sabha," he said.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...