Dhaka to shift Rohingya refugees to new islands
Even as it prepares to repatriate Rohingya refugees to Myanmar, with the monsoons round the corner, Bangladesh plans to shift some of the Rohingya refugees to new islands, Bangladesh Foreign Minister Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali has said.
While the discussions are still on on the development of these islands, Bangladesh Government hopes to move about one lakh of Rohingya refugees from the almost 11 lakh who have taken shelter in Cox Bazaar.
The refugee camps are largely based on the hill top and are prone to landslides. Bangladesh government does not want these refugees to be facing life threatening situation in monsoons.
“Some new islands have come up in Bay of Bengal. We are trying to shift about one lakh in the first lot,” Ali said in a special interaction with visiting media from several countries on Saturday.
On Friday, Bangladesh signed an agreement with United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees that will see UNHCR taking over repatriation of these refugees to Myanmar.
However, Ali expressed concerns over the return of Rohingyas to Myanmar given the fact their houses have been razed down by Myanmar security forces and even the names of the villages changed. India is providing porta cabins to help desl with housing crisis when these refugees return to Myanmar and proving support to Bangladesh also.
Sending them back will be another challenge as the last time these refugees came to Bangladesh in 1971 less than half returned. Bangladesh Government is hopeful this time more numbers will return.
“The sooner they return the better. So far we have been keeping a strict vigil on them but in future they can create security challenges for the region,” the Minister said.
- UP Cong to protest against BJP Govts over law and order 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC asks Committee chief to explore possibility to compensate victims 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Irrigation scheme not running at full utilisation: CAG report 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC stays Madras HC order giving 196 marks to NEET students 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP Govt to set flood relief camp in affected districts 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UPPCL to set up special cell to bring down line losses 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Woman alleges rape by 40 men for 4 days, 3 held 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EC junks Cong 60L fake MP voter ID claim 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Transporters go on indefinite agitation for various demands 21 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Senior BJP leader shot in Rae Bareli 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | PTI | Bengaluru
Expecting early Lok Sabha polls by December, Congress in Karnataka on Saturday said it has begun preparations for the elections that it claimed would instal a "non-BJP" Government at the Centre. In the run-up to the polls, Congress said it has decided to reorganise the party from grassroots to pradesh congress committee level...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh reviewed the preparations and programmes on scheduled visit of President Ramnath Kovind to Chhattisgarh with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials at his official residence on Saturday. President is scheduled to visit the State on July 25 and 26 at Dantewada and Bastar (Jagdalpur)...