Doubts on US scholar’s lecture following threat
Will the prominent US scholar and author Audrey Truschke be able to deliver her scheduled lecture in Hyderabad on Saturday?
There were serious doubts about the programme as one after the other two venues have cancelled the booking following the threat of the right wing Hindu orgnaisations including Bajrang Dal threatening to disrupt her programme.
First the Art Gallery cancelled the booking after which the organisers had booked the famous Birla Science Centre auditorium. But the head of the center also cancelled the booking fearing the trouble.
Audrey Truschke author of Culture of Encounters: Sanskrit at the Mughal Court and Aurangzeb: The Man and the Myth was invited by Krishnakriti Foundation and History of Peace organisation to deliver the talk on “Unpopular Stories: Narrating the Indo-Islamic Past and Navigating Present-day Prejudices”. Audrey Turschke is an assistant professor of South Asian history at Rutgers University in Newark, New Jersey.
BG Siddharth, head of BM Birla Science Centre, Hyderabad said that he had “politely declined” permission to the organisers. But the denial of permission came after confirmation of booking after which the organizers had printed the invitation cards and distributed them to the invitees.
Significantly Siddharth admitted that the denial was to do with the fears that the program may create a controversy.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Aug 2018 | PNS | lOHARDAGA
Four ministers of School Children’s Parliament of Govt Middle school Narauli were felicitated for their outstanding leadership and excellent services in school management on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day. After the flag hoisting programme President Ramdayal Oraon, Prime Minister Sheela Oraon, Education Minister Anjali Oraon and Nutrition Minister Chandmuni Oraon were given certificate of appreciation and Oxford English Grammar book as prize...