- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
Elders can speak in any of 22 languages from July 18
Rajya Sabha members can speak in any of the 22 scheduled languages from the Monsoon Session starting July 18 as the Upper House is providing the facility for simultaneous interpretation in five more languages of Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Santhali and Sindhi.
This became possible after Rajya Sabha chairman M Venkaiah Naidu inducted a panel of new interpreters today by awarding them certificates of completion of training and eligibility.
“I have always felt that mother tongue is the natural medium to convey our feelings and thoughts without any retention,” the vice president said.
Naidu, soon after assuming office, had assured that necessary measures would be taken to enable the members speak in any of the 22 languages listed in the 8th Schedule of Constitution, saying that speaking in mother tongue enables better expression of thoughts. In pursuance of this assurance, the Rajya Sabha Secretariat made special efforts to identify, select and train interpreters in these five languages.
Of the 22 scheduled languages, Rajya Sabha had earlier established simultaneous interpretation service for 12 languages — Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu. For five languages viz., Bodo, Maithili, Manipuri, Marathi and Nepali, interpreters of Lok Sabha were being deployed.
To overcome the difficulty in identifying suitable candidates for simultaneous interpretation of Dogri, Kashmiri, Konkani, Santhali and Sindhi, the Rajya Sabha Secretariat took the help of language departments of universities, missions of respective states in Delhi and various welfare associations, a Rajya Sabha statement said.
- NGOs to create database on poaching, illegal trade 19 Jul 2018 | Archana Jyoti
- TDP isolated on disruption, parties want RS to function 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- PVR Nest launches Eco Grants 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Centre likely to fix MSP for milk 19 Jul 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- Rajya Sabha gets off to a smooth start 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Govt OK’s Rs 13,000 cr package for Maha 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- LS scraps no-detention policy in Class V, VIII 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- 3 sisters raped for months by 5; prime accused arrested 19 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 18-year-old girl killed by father for tryst with lover on phone 19 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Such move will only encourage ‘rape’ culture: Mehbooba 19 Jul 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jul 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
The court ordered anti-encroachment drive continued in Dehradun with 280 encroachments being demolished and 185 being marked on Wednesday. A total of 2196 encroachments have been demolished, 4674 have been marked and 88 buildings have been sealed so far...