Haven’t used ‘saffron terror’, ask those uttered these words: Shivraj Patil
Hours after a special court acquitted five accused in the 2007 Mecca Mosque bomb blasts case, former Union Home Minister and senior Congress leader Shivraj Patil came up with evasive answers to queries on the “saffron terror” terminology coined during the UPA regime and also denied having used “these words”.
Avoiding steadfastly to be drawn into any controversy, the normally reticent Patil said while interacting with journalists, “Does the charge sheet say these words (saffron terror or Hindu terror)? Have I ever used them?... It is a case of terrorism”.
Patil, who was the Union Home Minister from May, 2004 to November, 2008 in the previous UPA Government, dismissed BJP’s demand for an apology from the Congress for coining the “saffron terror” during the Manmohan Singh regime: “I did not say anything like ‘terror has saffron colour’ why should I apologise”.
Earlier in the day, BJP’s spokesperson Sambit Patra had slammed the Congress for ‘defaming’ the Hindu religion by coining the words ‘saffron terror’, and demanded an apology from the Congress President Rahul Gandhi and former party chief Sonia Gandhi.
When it was pointed out to him that Congress leaders like former Union Home Ministers P Chidambaram and Sushil Kumar Shinde and former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Digvijaya Singh had used words like “saffron terror”, Patil said: “You should not address this question to me....who must ask whosoever has said”.
- UP Cong to protest against BJP Govts over law and order 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC asks Committee chief to explore possibility to compensate victims 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Irrigation scheme not running at full utilisation: CAG report 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- SC stays Madras HC order giving 196 marks to NEET students 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP Govt to set flood relief camp in affected districts 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UPPCL to set up special cell to bring down line losses 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Woman alleges rape by 40 men for 4 days, 3 held 21 Jul 2018 | PTI
- EC junks Cong 60L fake MP voter ID claim 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Transporters go on indefinite agitation for various demands 21 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Senior BJP leader shot in Rae Bareli 21 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | PTI | Bengaluru
Expecting early Lok Sabha polls by December, Congress in Karnataka on Saturday said it has begun preparations for the elections that it claimed would instal a "non-BJP" Government at the Centre. In the run-up to the polls, Congress said it has decided to reorganise the party from grassroots to pradesh congress committee level...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Chief Minister Raman Singh reviewed the preparations and programmes on scheduled visit of President Ramnath Kovind to Chhattisgarh with his cabinet colleagues and senior officials at his official residence on Saturday. President is scheduled to visit the State on July 25 and 26 at Dantewada and Bastar (Jagdalpur)...