- Former Union minister P Chidambaram moves Delhi court seeking anticipatory bail in
- NASA set to launch world's first mission to touch the Sun
- Need to strike a balance between conflicting rights of protestors and that of citizens:
- Toronto police say nine people shot and shooter is dead in city's Greektown.
India loses 176 leopards in three months
In the last three months, India has lost an alarmingly number of 176 leopards with at least one-third of them falling prey to poachers in forests across the country.
According to the Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI), till April 11, 2018, the maximum mortality has been reported from Uttarakhand with 38 deaths followed by Maharashtra (32) and Madhya Pradesh (11). Hill State, Uttarakhand, also topped the charts with highest number of seizures with 10 skins, skin pieces and bones of three leopards.
Tito Jopseph, programme manager at WPSI said that till April 11, 2018, across the country, at least 11 spotted cats were killed by villagers while 26 succumbed to road and train mishaps and 55 were found dead due to various reasons. Overall, mortality has been reported from 22 States. Mortality is a category when a leopard or tiger is found dead due to diseases or unknown causes, shot by forest department or police, killed by villagers, killed in road or train accident, killed in rescue operation or during treatment, infighting, accidental electrocution.
According to official records, a total of 431 leopards died in 2017. These included 159 incidents of poaching. Some 450 big cats died in 2016 and 127 of them were found poached for their expensive hide and other body parts. YV Jhala, a senior scientist from the Dehradun-based Wildlife Institute of India (WII), said the mortality could actually be higher because the available figure is what could be detected or reported.
Wildlife activists say that degradation of leopard habitat, encroachment and lack of prey base in forest are taking toll on the existence of the leopards, prompting them to go for killing in the human habitats. Hence not only they are target for organized poachers as their skin and body parts are sold at huge prices in the illegal market, unorganized poachers like villagers or nomads also look for them to remove their parts like nail and canine after their death. They say that for every tiger skin, there are at least seven leopard skins in the haul. The first ever count of leopards was conducted alongside tiger census in 2015 by the WII which put the predators’ population at 7,910 in and around tiger habitats across the country. However, as Northeast and areas outside the tiger reserves were not included, the wildlife experts estimate the number of leopards to be around 9,000 across 17 states. The Indian leopard is listed as “vulnerable” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List. It is protected under Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- Bihar hikes diesel subsidy by Rs 10 a litre for farmers 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Probe ordered into UP Govt school closing on Fridays 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Thane Police to seek details of call centre scam in US 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Those who want Shariat ‘may go to Pak’: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi writes to ragpicker’s son, hopes he inspires many 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Ragpicker’s son clears AIIMS entrance exam in 1st attempt 23 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Four undocumented Indian crew members rescued from oil tanker 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Mumbai-London Jet Airways flight diverted to Romania 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Alwar lynching: Third accused arrested 23 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Safer to be ‘a cow than a Muslim’: Shashi Tharoor 23 Jul 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Jul 2018 | AFP | tehran
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that negotiations with the United States are “useless” because it does not abide by agreements. “As I have previously said, we cannot trust in the words of the United States and even in their signature, so negotiations with the United States are useless,” Khamenei told a gathering of Iranian diplomats in Tehran...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
Capital city of Raipur is crucial for all parties, as it has four Assembly constituencies. Congress party which has been trying to make inroads into these constituencies is now in search of a new district president for the Capital city...