Indian Coast Guard saves 7 people
In a thrilling rescue operation Indian Coast Guard (ICG) saved seven people from a tug boat caught mid-sea off Porbandar coast on Wednesday early morning.
The tug which was on passage from coastal Veraval town in Gir Somnath district to Sikka in Jamnagar district experienced loss of engine power due to bursting of fuel lines and had no fuel left on board. As a result of it seven fishermen aboard the tug boat – Jalraak – were stuck mid-sea.
The tug raised distress alert to Coast Guard district headquarters, Porbandar in the wee hours. Due to the prevailing monsoon weather, the tug started drifting towards South West of Porbandar harbour and thereby posed serious danger to the crew.
Though assistance was sought from tugs from Porbandar port, but extreme weather conditions became obstacle to extend any support to the drifting distressed tug. In order to mitigate the situation and avoid loss to life, ICG ship ‘Shoor’ was made to sail immediately. In the meantime the tug was advised to arrest the drift by anchoring in the position.
However due to strong swell and rough sea conditions, the anchor cable of tug parted and continued to drift toward shore. ICG’s boat came close to Jalarak but couldn’t connect up tow due to conducive sea conditions and lack of communication with the tug. By the time situation worsened as the tug further drifted to shallow waters and it was impossible for the ICG boat to venture inside shallow waters.
As a result of it towing operation had to be aborted despite the fact tug was in the vicinity of ICG boat. Finally it was decided to use first light helicopters from Coast Guard enclave Porbandar to airlift all seven crew members.
- Dabholkar murder case: Sharpshooter Andhure sent to CBI custody till Aug 26 20 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Rahul may talk to Mamata 20 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Hardik held ahead of protest over fast venue 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Nine Pakistanis arrested by Coast Guard off Kutch coast 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- After Srisailam chance of Nagarjuna Sagar getting filled up brightens 20 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
- Panel set up to probe Gujarat groundnut scam 20 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Bihar shelter home: FIR filed against ex-Min under Arms Act 20 Aug 2018 | Faizan Ahmad
- J&K Home dept groping in dark 20 Aug 2018 | Mohit Kandhari
- Maha man held for siphoning off PDS rice, wheat 20 Aug 2018 | PTI
- KCR may dissolve Assembly next month: TPCC Chief 20 Aug 2018 | Prof RSS MANI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
A succession war is brewing in the DMK after Karunanidhi’s death, with both Stalin and Alagiri staking a claim to their father’s political legacy. This, along with the churning in the AIADMK after Jayalalithaa’s death, is bound to have an impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu in the run-up to 2019 Lok Sabha polls, writes Kumar Chellappan Tamil Nadu politics sans Muthuvel Karunanidhi is like the drama Hamlet without...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
To mark the occasion of ‘World Photography Day’, members of Jharkhand Photographic Association organized photo-walk and on the spot photography contest on Sunday. The photographers captured the scenic beauty of Ghahari Dham located in Lapung block...