- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
J&K gunfight: Cop martyred, terrorist shot
A soldier and a terrorist were killed in a fierce gunfight in south Kashmir’s mountainous Qazigund area on Tuesday even as a hideout was busted in Laam forests of Tral sub-district where troops had launched a massive combing operation during wee hours.
Sources said that a joint team of Army and counterinsurgency police launched an operation in Nowbug, Kund area of south Kashmir’s Qazigund area that resulted into death of a soldier and a militant. A policeman was injured in the gunfight.
Police said hiding militants fired upon the search party when it approached a house suspected to be the militant hideout. The militants initially changed their positions and attempted to escape the area but all the exit and entry routes had been sealed by the security forces. This triggered a heavy exchange of fire that resulted into death of a Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) outfit. During the exchange of fire, a policeman and a soldier sustained injuries. The soldier later succumbed to his injuries. Sources added that some of the militants managed to escape from the encounter.
A police official identified the slain militant as Muzamil Manzoor, a resident of Bardoo Yaripora Kulgam.
The encounter took place a day after security forces shot dead two Hizbul Mujahideen militants during an encounter in Handwara pocket of north Kashmir.
In another incident, security forces launched a combing operation in Laam forests in Tral sub-division of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. During the operation, a hideout was busted and blankets used by militants were recovered. The militants are suspected to have abandoned the hideout due to freezing temperatures in the area.
Meanwhile, the authorities suspended rail services in several areas due to the encounters fearing outpouring of people. The internet services were snapped in several areas.
- 6 of family found dead in J'khand, suicide notes recovered 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Monsoon Session: Opp leaders to plan strategy 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rajnath visits B’desh founder’s memorial 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Sarpanch killed 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 2 jawans martyred in gunbattle with Naxals 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 30-yr-old delivers twins on train near Mumbai 16 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- UP woman burnt in temple after gangrape 16 Jul 2018 | PNS
- 31-year-old imposter arrested in Coimbatore college mock drill death 16 Jul 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Over 40K classrooms turn hi-tech in Kerala 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- UP police to strengthen ‘anti-Romeo squads’ to prevent eve-teasing 16 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Jul 2018 | Amitabh Shukla | New Delhi
Branching off the main Delhi-Chandigarh-Shimla highway on National Highway 22, which some still call by its earlier name of Hindustan-Tibet Road, are three quaint hill stations—Kasauli, Dagshai and Subathu—all military cantonments, which you cannot miss if you are a travel enthusiast. The charm of long leisurely walks, chirping of all varieties of colorful birds, smell of wild and exotic flowers, the fresh coat of green on leaves when it rains, the...