- Atal Bihari Vajpayee to take place at 4 PM tomorrow at Rashtriya Smriti Sthal in Delhi
- Vajpayee to be accorded state funeral; 7 day mourning declared, flag to be flown at half
- Govt announces 7-day national mourning following demise of Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Former Prime Minister Vajpayee dead
- Kerala rains: 12 more NDRF teams sent
Loud cheers from BJP brass
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP president Amit Shah, BJP veteran LK Advani, and senior leaders of the party on Thursday welcomed the Union Budget for 2018-19 calling it a “development-friendly” Budget that will strengthen the vision of a ‘new India’.
Congratulating Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and his team, Modi said farmers, Dalits and tribal communities will gain from the Budget. The Budget, he emphasised, will create new opportunities for rural India. This is the government’s last full Budget before the general elections.
Discussing various schemes of his Government, including the construction of toilets and initiatives in the areas of housing, power and health, the Prime Minister emphasised that the Budget devotes attention to all sectors, ranging from agriculture to infrastructure. The Budget is “farmer friendly, common citizen friendly, business environment friendly” and will add to ‘ease of living’ and ‘ease of doing business’, Modi said.
The Government will soon announce concrete steps to address non-performing assets (NPA) and ‘stress account’ issues for the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) sector, the prime minister said.
BJP veteran LK Advani praised the budget saying he could not recall a Budget “that set such high goals, targets and commitments for the growth of all sections of the economy”. Advani particularly lauded the scheme of ‘Aushman Bharat’ which aims of assuring health assurance through a scheme covering 50 crore Indians.
Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi hailed a “record” hike in budgetary allocation to the minority affairs ministry and said the funds will be used for the empowerment of the minority communities “with dignity”. Shah praised Modi and Jaitley for the “historic” step of raising MSPs to 1.5 times the costs incurred by farmers and said it showed the government’s commitment to farmers and doubling their income.
“This budget gives new wings to the aspirations of the poor, farmers and the middle class. The #NewIndiaBudget will truly empower all sections of the society to attain prosperity,” he said.
There is a “tremendous stress” on improving ease of living for the common man and this is happening with improving affordability and access, he said. This will give a boost to aspirations of common man, Shah added. He also termed ‘Ayushman Bharat’ as an unparallelled initiative to ensure health insurance as well as health assurance.
Protecting 10 crore families, which is about 40 per cent of India’s population, with a health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh per family is a global first, he said.
‘Saubhagya Yojana’, which aims to provide electricity connection to 4 crore families, reflects sensitivity and commitment of the Modi government to brightening the lives of the poor and bring them into mainstream of India’s development, he said.
- Hindu Mahasabha set up ‘first Hindu court' in reaction to ‘Sharait courts' 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- NDA was stronger because of Vajpayee: Uddhav Thackeray 17 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Atal was true believer of multi-party democracy: Left 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- 2 claim responsibility on FB for attack on Khalid 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- B'desh PM expresses deep shock at Vajpayee’s demise 17 Aug 2018 | PTI
- He watched Umrao Jaan thrice in a night 17 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Opp leaders mourn demise 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Vajpayee first Delhi Metro passenger 17 Aug 2018 | GAYATHRI MANI
- Condolences 17 Aug 2018 | PNS
- A leader for ages — ahead of his times 17 Aug 2018 | Narendra Modi
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
All private and Government schools will remain closed today as a mark of respect to former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Vajpayee passed away after prolonged illness at AIIMS in Delhi on Thursday...