- 15 injured as makeshift tent collapses during Modi's Midnapore rally, PM visits hospital.
- Our government working to double farmer income by 2022: PM Modi
- Journalist Upendra Rai arrested by CBI in fresh case of alleged corruption: Officials
- Kerala church scandal: SC to hear tomorrow anticipatory bail plea of priest
Mayawati to contest 2019 Lok Sabha polls
In a move to galvanise cadres and to send out a strong message of fighting the BJP, Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati is mulling to contest the 2019 general elections.
The BSP had earlier shown interest for Opposition unity in UP during the Lok Sabha polls and held several rounds of talks with Samajwadi Party and other Opposition parties over seat sharing.
But Mayawati's move to revisit her strategy of not contesting Parliament elections and now showing interest, could give another political dimension to UP in the future polls. If she does contest, it will mark a tactical shift from her earlier policy of not contesting polls in order to focus on party organisation.
A BSP leader said on Wednesday that the party was already on the job to identify the mostsuitable seat for the BSP chief.
"It would most likely be Ambedkarnagar constituency adjoining Faizabad.Another probable seat could be Bijnore," he said.
However Amedkarnagar, earlier called Akbarpur before 2009 elections, could be the final choice for the BSP chief as cuurently four of the five Assembly segments has BSP MLA. Mayawati represented the seat in Lok Sabha in 1998, 1999 and 2004.
“The 2019 Lok Sabha election is crucial for the BSP to revitalise party cadres, who are somewhat demoralised after three successive poll drubbing - 2012 and 2017 Assembly polls and 2014 Lok Sabha poll. Mayawati is likely to lead by contesting from Ambedkarnagar,” the BSP leader said.
After becoming BSP national president in 2003, Mayawati had in principle decided not to contest direct polls. Though she had won 2004 Lok Sabha poll from Ambedkarnagar but she resigned and was re-elected to Rajya Sabha. Since then, Mayawati has been a Legislative Council member, while being Chief Minister of UP. In 2012, after losing power in UP, she went to Rajya Sabha before resigning from the Upper House last year.
Ambedkar Nagar located next to Faizabad has often been seen as a cradle of BSP's politics. Ambedkar Nagar Lok Sabha seat came into existence after delimitation in 2008 and prior to that it was known as Akbarpur seat.The seat has been witness to clear dominance by the BSP. Mayawati had been an MP first from Akbarpur and then Ambedkar Nagar several times starting from 1998.
Bijnor in west UP, is also a suitable seat if the alliance between BSP and SP comes through. Mayawati also represented Bijnor LS seat in her early days of politics.
- Punjab must be developed as special industrial zone: Jakhar 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Over 13,500 infant deaths in 11 months: Maha Min 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos test-fire successful 17 Jul 2018 | PTI
- BIMARU States top in non/partially-immunised children: UN agencies 17 Jul 2018 | IANS
- Now, India not in Fragile Five: Modi 17 Jul 2018 | Agencies
- Govt to rope in engineers, scientists to explore scientific validation of AYUSH 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Inshort 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- CBI takes custody of journalist Upendra Rai in extortion, corruption case 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- CBI chargesheets Farooq, 3 others for alleged irregularities in JKCA 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
- UP to re-introduce anticipatory bail in modified form 17 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Phir Khule Akaash me Judde Ghataon Ke, Phir Hawaon Ke Dupatte Ho Gaye Jheene, a poetic event centered on creations about monsoon ‘Pranaam Pawas’ concluded in city. The event was organised by the Dushyant Kumar Memorial Manuscript Museum to welcome the monsoon season...