MHA terms Mamata Govt's report ‘sketchy'
Terming the report on law and order from West Bengal Government as "sketchy", the Centre on Wednesday asked the Mamata Banerjee dispensation to submit another report providing full details of violence unleashed during the recent Panchayat polls by the ruling Trinamool Congress.
The communication sent by the Union Home Ministry told the State Government to provide specific details and action taken. The second communication was sent two days after a similar one following large-scale violence during the elections to the local bodies in the state on Monday. Over a dozen lives were lost in the violence. The Union Home Ministry has asked the West Bengal Government to provide a detailed report on the violence during the polls as the report the State Government had sent was "sketchy", the official said.
The State Government has been told to provide details on the circumstances leading to the violence and the steps taken to restore peace and punish those involved, the official said.
Despite massive security arrangements, widespread violence marred the panchayat polls. Clashes between the supporters of the ruling TMC and the Opposition occurred in many parts of the State, including North and South 24 Parganas, Nadia, Murshidabad and South Dinajpur districts.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...