- A MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh: Police.
- Govt is ready for discussion on any issue raised by different political parties: PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi calls for extensive discussion on important issues of national interest
- Two bodies pulled out of rubble of six-storey under-construction building that collapsed
MIM not to contest Karnataka polls
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) will not be fielding any candidate in Karnataka Assembly elections, party president and MP Asaduddin Owaisi announced here on Monday. Instead, he declared party’s support to Janata Dal (Secular) of former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda.
AIMIM is the second political party from Telangana to announce its support to Gowda’s party. Last week Telangana Chief Minister and TRS President during his visit to Bengaluru had announced his party’s support to the JD(S).
Polling in Karnataka is due on May 12.
Talking to the media in Hyderabad on Monday Owaisi said that the aim of AIMIM’s support to JD(S) was that a non-Congress, non BJP Government should come to power in Karnataka and eventually in the country. He said that the party decided to take this line after consultations with the party leaders. “All our efforts and endeavors will be to ensure that the JD (S) gets the maximum number of seats. HD Kumaraswamy should become the Chief Minister and the party lead by Deve Gowda should be ruling Karnataka”.
Lashing out at both the Congress and the BJP he said that both the national parties had failed to meet the aspirations of the people of Karnataka.Owaisi said that he conveyed the decision of the AIMIM to Kumaraswamy assuring him partys full support. He said whenever possible he and other party leaders will also take part in campaign in Karnataka.
Echoing the words and sentiments of Chief Minister KCR, Owaisi expressed hope that the people of Karnataka will bring JD(S) to power in Karnataka once again to bring a qualitative change in politics. “It will be in the interest of Karnataka and the country that a non Congress and non BJP government comes to power in the state as well as in the country whenever the Parliament elections were held”, he said. Initially Owaisi was keen that MIM should contest the elections in Karnataka, specially in Hyderabad-Karnataka region which has significant Muslim population and the party has a base there. There were also speculations that MIM was talking to JD(S) leader Deve Gowda for an electoral understanding. But nothing came out of it and now the MIM has announced support to JDS which already has an understanding with the BSP.
Owaisi’s decision to go with the JD(S) was being seen as an extension of the bitter differences between the MIM and the Congress. Ever since MIM opted to be a friend of TRS in Telangana and field candidates in other states against Congress, it was facing fierce attacks from the local Congress leaders.
Telangana State Congress President N Uttam Kumar Reddy has announced that the Congress will specially focus on the MIM strongholds in the old city in the next elections and work hard to wrest its seats. Congress leaders have also launched whispering campaign that the MIM was fielding candidates in other State to divide the secular votes at the behest of the BJP, a charge Owaisi strongly refute.
MIM on its part was also extremely unhappy with the Congress after its Government in Karnataka created obstacles in its ways when the party tried to contest the Benaluru Municipal Corporation elections. MIM drew a blank in the civic polls.
- Controversy erupts over iPhone gift to K’taka MPs 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Soil ramps made for safe passage of elephants along ‘killer track’ in Rajaji Tiger Reserve 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- MTNL underground cables cut, stolen from Okhla Exchange 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Trawlers capsize in Bay of Bengal, 19 fishermen missing 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- INBRIEF 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- Munde: Sugar firm dupes farmers, banks of `5.5K 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- WCD Ministry to amend JJ Act 18 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Hike in power bill likely in UP as UPPCL installs FGDs in plants 18 Jul 2018 | PNS
- To tide over milk shortage, Maha brings 5.28L litres daily from Guj 18 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- Killer should have been caught alive: Victim’s father 18 Jul 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jul 2018 | Staff Reporter | RAIPUR
A two-month-old infant died due to suffocation after the door of the ‘108 Ambulance Service’ that was carrying him to a hospital malfunctioned and failed to open on time at Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar Hospital here on Tuesday. The Ambulance operators tried to open the door for a couple of hours but failed to open it on time...