MoHUA plans to assess liveability standards in cities
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) plans to conduct an 'Annual Assessment of Liveability Standards in Cities', which will involve yearly survey and compilation of a large number of datasets across the various indicators. There are 79 indicators that have been organised in 15 distinct 'categories' covering aspects such as governance, health and education, safety, identity and culture, economy, pollution, mixed land use and compactness, open spaces, urban mobility and various core urban services, and contribute to the 4 essential pillars of comprehensive development, namely, institutional, social, economic and physical.
This will help the cities to understand their baseline and pursue tangible outcomes over time. This was announced by HUA minister Hardeep Singh Puri on Tuesday.
The Ministry has developed a set of liveability standards in cities which was launched in June 2017 with an objective of developing these standards to generate a liveability index and rate cities against these standards to facilitate a competitive environment amongst cities and result in systematic improvement in the quality of life of citizens.
"All these standards are also strongly linked to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The assessment of liveability standards will help India to track and achieve these SDGs.
“These indicators have been adapted from various national/international indicator sets and service level benchmarks and after extensive consultations with State/City Governments, citizen through MyGov portal and peer review by sector experts," Puri said while inauguratinng a workshop on Assessment of Liveability Indices for 116 Cities in India.
- Rlys revised timetable: Many new niche trains on cards 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- SC to hear TN’s plea against NGT order giving Vedanta access to Tuticorin plant 15 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Rupee fall due to economic mismanagement of Modi Govt, alleges Congress 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong dares PM to dissolve LS 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Tight security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day 15 Aug 2018 | Khursheed Wani
- Mamata raises NRC again, calls RSS for terror outfit 15 Aug 2018 | Saugar Sengupta
- Madras High Court orders CBI enquiry 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Stalin era begins in DMK 15 Aug 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- BJP to launch enrolment campaign in Gujarat today 15 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Cong uses BJP’s ‘Beti Bachao’ slogan against Rajen Gohain 15 Aug 2018 | Anup Sharma
Sunday EditionView All
12 Aug 2018 | Kestur Vasuki | Bengaluru
Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy who is facing wrath from the farmers in the State, in an appealing gesture planted paddy saplings in solidarity on Saturday. He chose Aralukuppe village in Mandya district the heart land of vokkaliga politics sowed paddy saplings in a muddied agriculture field amidst a large gathering...
STATE EDITIONSView All
15 Aug 2018 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
State of Chhattisgarh is moving faster from malnutrition to normal. But on the path, to achieve the target cooperation of all is required, said women and child development minister Ramsheela Sahu...