Narada: 3rd TMC heavyweight grilled, 4th summoned by ED
Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress’ big political embarrassment continued in the Narada payoff case for the third consecutive day on Friday with the Enforcement Directorate interrogating party’s senior most leader and powerful Minister Subroto Mukherjee for more than three hours.
Unlike Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee who needed more than eight hours’ intense grilling on Thursday — to call to mind the occurrence of accepting Rs 5 lakh from Mathew Samuels for party work — Mukherjee presented a sharper memory of having “received Rs 3.5 lakh and not Rs 5 lakh.”
Mukherjee a veteran leader boldly represented his case before the media after the interrogation saying the Narada News chief owed Rs 1.5 lakh to him as “I had only received Rs 3.5 lakh and not Rs 5 lakh as claimed by a section of the media, but all for party purposes,” adding “telling him to send the remaining Rs 1.5 lakh,” before hurriedly adding he would respond to ED summons promptly whenever required.
He had been asked to furnish details of his income and other related documents, sources said.
Meanwhile, another powerful Minister Suvendu Adhikary, known for his spearheading Mamata’s Nandigram struggle had also been asked to appear before the ED on August 16. The Minister had on earlier occasions told the ED about his inability to appear before it on account of his busy schedules offering to meet the officials in his own office.
The ED however asked him to appear in its own office on Wednesday. Adhikary along with his father Sisir Adhikary a former Union Minister are the only two Trinamool leaders in Bengal who command a strong organizational force and whose electoral prospects are free from Mamata Banerjee’s influence.
- 6 of family found dead in J'khand, suicide notes recovered 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Monsoon Session: Opp leaders to plan strategy 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Rajnath visits B’desh founder’s memorial 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- Sarpanch killed 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 2 jawans martyred in gunbattle with Naxals 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- 30-yr-old delivers twins on train near Mumbai 16 Jul 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA
- UP woman burnt in temple after gangrape 16 Jul 2018 | PNS
- 31-year-old imposter arrested in Coimbatore college mock drill death 16 Jul 2018 | Kumar Chellappan
- Over 40K classrooms turn hi-tech in Kerala 16 Jul 2018 | PTI
- UP police to strengthen ‘anti-Romeo squads’ to prevent eve-teasing 16 Jul 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
15 Jul 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Amid row over alleged use of derogatory language in a web series while referring to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the BJP and the RSS believe that freedom of expression must be policed, while he regards it as a fundamental democratic right. “My father lived and died in the service of India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Jul 2018 | PNS | Indore
Hitting back at Congress leader Kamal Nath for writing to Lord Shiva to seek an end to the misrule in Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Sunday said such shallow tactics have caused the opposition party's downfall. "My friend in the Congress is opposing (us) for no reason...