No proposal to withdraw `2,000 notes, says Govt
The Government on Friday said that there is no proposal to withdraw Rs 2,000 denomination note.
RBI introduced Rs 2,000 notes following demonetisation of high value Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes in November 2016.
Replying to question whether the government is considering withdrawal of Rs 2,000 notes shortly, Minister of State for Finance Pon Radhakrishnan in the Lok Sabha said, "there is no such proposal."
Specified Bank Notes (SBNs) were received by the RBI either directly or from bank branches or post offices through the currency chest mechanism and were subjected to verification for authentication and numeral accuracy, he said.
"The process has since been completed. The notes processed online in Currency Verification and Processing System (CVPS) have been destroyed," he said.
In another reply, Minister of State for Finance Shiv Pratap Shukla said Public Sector Banks (PSBs) witnessed a period of aggressive lending from 2008 to 2014 where the gross advances increased from 18.2 lakh crore to 52.16 lakh crore as per RBI data.
"Reasons for spurt in stressed assets have been observed to be, inter-alia, due to aggressive lending practices, wilful default / loan frauds / corruption in some cases, and economic slowdown. Asset Quality Review (AQR) initiated in 2015 for clean and fully provisioned bank balance-sheets revealed high incidence of NPAs," he said.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...