Now, CBI moves Delhi High Court against Kani, Raja’s acquittal
A day after the Enforcement Directorate, the main prosecuting agency CBI also on Tuesday moved the Delhi High Court challenging the trial court order acquitting former telecom Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and others in the 2G scam case. The matter was mentioned before a bench of Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar by Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta, who is also the new Special Public Prosecutor in the 2G cases. The court allowed it to be listed for hearing on Wednesday before Justice SP Garg.
The special court had on December 21 last year acquitted Raja, Kanimozhi and others in the cases registered by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the ED. Both agencies in their appeal contested the trial court judgment by arguing that the Special Judge OP Saini “totally erred” and “took casual approach” in looking into the concrete evidences of violation of telecom guidelines and Rs 200 crore money trails to DMK run Kalaignar TV from accused telecom company owners.
CBI and ED also argued in their appeal that many crucial witnesses and witnesses deposed before Magistrates under Section 164 of CrPC were also “ignored” by the trial court judge. The agencies said that the proofs provided by them were well appreciated by Supreme Court which cancelled the illegal 122 licenses allotted by then Telecom Minister A.Raja.
- When Vajpayee asked for pajamas at public meeting 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- ‘Atal made path-breaking contributions to Sino-India ties’ 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- No change of guard ceremony today: Rashtrapati Bhavan 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- India’s Chef de Mission pays tribute 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Ex-PM started out as an MP from Balrampur 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Pak interim Law Min meets Sushma, condoles demise 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- SAARC leaders, including Pak, turn up at funeral 18 Aug 2018 | PTI
- Inshort 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Centre announces new freight corridor between Kharagpur, Vijayawada 18 Aug 2018 | PNS
- Rain brightens chance of filling Srisailam dam 18 Aug 2018 | Omer Farooq
Sunday EditionView All
19 Aug 2018 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Five years after the renowned rationalist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen in Pune, the CBI on Saturday arrested one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly pulled the trigger. Identiying the arrested person as one Sachin Prakashrao Andure from Aurangabad, a senior official said that Andure was one of the sharp-shooters who allegedly shot Dr Dabholkar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Yet another girl from the Capital City Khushboo Vijay became the winner of Miss India International Global 2018 and will be representing India next year in Malaysia 2019 for World Finale. The event was held in Guwahati on August 2018...